540challenger Offline
master
540challenger  Offline
master

NY usa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like this thread may have run its course. I've got a bunch of stuff going on with my new bullet, but I will save it for my own thread.

I don't think so just close to Christmas. I have other thing a lot more important than putting my car together.

Have a st of Apache heads that will soon be flowed on the same bench and fixture as the eagle heads and will be purchasing an aluminum G3.
I try posting in one area because the search function on this site is junk.
Matt

Do you have the Aluminum block yet? Word on the street is that Chrysler is completely out of stock (dealers & distribution) and they haven't started casting anymore.

Try modern muscle performance from the LX forum. He seems to stock pile the late gen stuff he had a bunch of new 6.1L Blocks and i wont be surprise if he stock piled some Alum Blocks. However he seemed to be a little high on price at least for the 6.4L engines he had in stock then again he is the only game in town with them as far as I know

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: STEFF] #1057270
11/28/11 09:39 PM
11/28/11 09:39 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like this thread may have run its course. I've got a bunch of stuff going on with my new bullet, but I will save it for my own thread.

I don't think so just close to Christmas. I have other thing a lot more important than putting my car together.

Have a st of Apache heads that will soon be flowed on the same bench and fixture as the eagle heads and will be purchasing an aluminum G3.
I try posting in one area because the search function on this site is junk.
Matt

Do you have the Aluminum block yet? Word on the street is that Chrysler is completely out of stock (dealers & distribution) and they haven't started casting anymore.

No, didnt even try looking. Hopefully Zippy will chime in and give use an update of the availability.
I would like to know who has been running the Aluminum block.
Are they good casting?
Did you ever figure out what happened with your 6.1?
There seams to be alot of 5.7 and 6.1 pushing 2 tons of anchor pretty fast.

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: MattW] #1057271
11/28/11 10:15 PM
11/28/11 10:15 PM
Smyrna, South Carolina
STEFF Offline
master
STEFF  Offline
master

Smyrna, South Carolina
Quote:

No, didnt even try looking. Hopefully Zippy will chime in and give use an update of the availability.
I would like to know who has been running the Aluminum block.
Are they good casting?
Did you ever figure out what happened with your 6.1?
There seams to be alot of 5.7 and 6.1 pushing 2 tons of anchor pretty fast.

As for my 6.1 carnage, the thought is that the stock piston just failed & came apart.

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: STEFF] #1057272
11/29/11 10:37 AM
11/29/11 10:37 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Haven't heard anything about aluminum block availability, AFAIK it's still ok but sometimes I am the last to find out about such things.

They've vendor ship direct, not stocked in a depot, so the order has to be placed for the part to be tracked down.

If somebody orders one and waits an excessive amount of time to get it, I can look into it and more than likely find out what the deal is. Until then I have to assume everything's cool....It would not really be fair for me to bug the machine shop asking about rumors.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: ZIPPY] #1057273
11/29/11 09:24 PM
11/29/11 09:24 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Haven't heard anything about aluminum block availability, AFAIK it's still ok but sometimes I am the last to find out about such things.

They've vendor ship direct, not stocked in a depot, so the order has to be placed for the part to be tracked down.

If somebody orders one and waits an excessive amount of time to get it, I can look into it and more than likely find out what the deal is. Until then I have to assume everything's cool....It would not really be fair for me to bug the machine shop asking about rumors.

Thanks Zippy.
You guys have worked with the G3 aluminum. Any problems?
I will be If I spend 4000.00 for a block that needs work or leaks like the W5.
I would also like to find out if there is any truth the the mains seizing up.
If it is true guys are holding on to this secret like it is gold. IMO this is hurting the Mopar camp.
I know that there is R&D involved but save that for making power.

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: sixpackgut] #1057274
11/29/11 09:32 PM
11/29/11 09:32 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

With the dist front cover, I guess you can run like a MSD 7 series ignition then? Does anyone make a notor plate for them or does one need to fab up one themselves? We are hanging up the small block motors we are running and putting together 2 of the 5.7 hemis for our bracket cars. We have 3 early engines sitting on stands in our shop.

NHRAmarks partner made my motor plate. here is his email

Bob.Ette@aeicnc.com

there is a problem that needs to be addressed and i could post pictures later. it involves useing a bbchevy water pump. on my water pump, the outlet is very close to the balancer. i am solving this by cutting 1/2inch out of the "legs" moving the whole water pump closer to the water plate. i may have pictures after this weekend of the mod.

another idea would be to do what member Steff did. he uses a remote pump and his motor plate is tapped for AN fittings.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

ok, so i bought a cheap water pump off ebay for $110 free shipping. i bought this perticular one because you can put the inlet on either side. so when i bolted it up, the inlet was to close to the pulley, also i couldnt fit my rad with the HHR fan in there

6942529-movie1012.jpg (187 downloads)

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: sixpackgut] #1057275
11/29/11 09:34 PM
11/29/11 09:34 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
modded water pump

6942534-movie1015.jpg (189 downloads)

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: sixpackgut] #1057276
11/29/11 09:35 PM
11/29/11 09:35 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
another

6942539-movie1016.jpg (213 downloads)

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: sixpackgut] #1057277
11/30/11 05:12 PM
11/30/11 05:12 PM
IL. Jerseyville
J
jg309 Offline
enthusiast
jg309  Offline
enthusiast
J

IL. Jerseyville
hy guys these rods that are being throud are they stock,good aftermarket,bad aftermarket?????????? thanks jg309

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: MattW] #1057278
12/01/11 02:37 PM
12/01/11 02:37 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

You guys have worked with the G3 aluminum. Any problems?
I will be If I spend 4000.00 for a block that needs work or leaks like the W5.
I would also like to find out if there is any truth the the mains seizing up.
If it is true guys are holding on to this secret like it is gold. IMO this is hurting the Mopar camp.
I know that there is R&D involved but save that for making power.

The main thing I'd stress is, avoid the "awesome price on an aluminum block with the wrong casting numbers on the internet" deal. If those are the ones you're referring to...I went over that issue with DW at Modern some time ago. I thought he planned on outing the seller, but maybe
not. At any rate they're development pieces--AKA a science project. If somebody tried to build one and it blew up, it wouldn't surprise me at all. They are to be avoided.

On legitimate, Chrysler Engineering released parts
I haven't had one single complaint from a customer.

In the limited amount of hands on work I've done
with the aluminum G3 block I could not find anything that I would complain about. We went 146mph with it but I'm sure somebody will do better real soon.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: jg309] #1057279
12/01/11 02:41 PM
12/01/11 02:41 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

hy guys these rods that are being throud are they stock,good aftermarket,bad aftermarket?????????? thanks jg309

Aftermarket H beams for the most part....unfortunately it's not as simple as 'the rod broke because the rod was weak'. If it were that easy nobody would complain

The other important point? It's
primarily seen on vehicles that are shifted at 8000 rpm and higher.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: ZIPPY] #1057280
12/01/11 05:45 PM
12/01/11 05:45 PM
Smyrna, South Carolina
STEFF Offline
master
STEFF  Offline
master

Smyrna, South Carolina
I was told Arrow has no Aluminum Block castings in stock & Chrysler hasn't started casting more. This is second hand.....take it for what it's worth.

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: ZIPPY] #1057281
12/01/11 09:02 PM
12/01/11 09:02 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Aftermarket H beams for the most part....unfortunately it's not as simple as 'the rod broke because the rod was weak'. If it were that easy nobody would complain

The other important point? It's
primarily seen on vehicles that are shifted at 8000 rpm and higher.

Thanks Zippy
When I purchase an aluminum G3 it will be from Chrysler.

Imagine trying to take a stock oiling system to 8000+ RPM.
My take it could be a couple of things. And that this with a grain of salt.
1 could be the same as the LA engine oil has a hard time making the 90 degree turn.
2 the crank could be airating the oil.
If the clearances are good and the assembly procedure are right IMO tbe reason a rod weld itself to the crank lack of oil.

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: MattW] #1057282
12/02/11 03:56 AM
12/02/11 03:56 AM
IL. Jerseyville
J
jg309 Offline
enthusiast
jg309  Offline
enthusiast
J

IL. Jerseyville
thanks matt,i app. the info,just didn't want to get to far into this & find out it has a bad problin

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: STEFF] #1057283
12/02/11 11:42 AM
12/02/11 11:42 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

I was told Arrow has no Aluminum Block castings in stock & Chrysler hasn't started casting more. This is second hand.....take it for what it's worth.

It would not be a surprise if that were true, but it's most likely nothing to panic about.

I'd have to consult with someone in inventory to be sure, but I believe the logic is supposed to be "without orders in the system there's no reason to have castings sitting around".

I can imagine how long it probably took to sell the first batch, all the while the system is gauging demand, and it was competing with brand new iron 6.1 blocks at 1/4 the price (until recently anyway).

Of course the other side of the coin is "build it and they will come" like the iron Gen 2 and Wedge blocks eventually became, but it took many years of proven volume to make that happen.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: Irun5snd8th] #1057284
12/03/11 06:36 PM
12/03/11 06:36 PM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
Quote:

Well here is where I am at with my own deal. Never got good answers on why these things are pitching rods at high rpm. I would rather deal with the valvetrain maintenance than take a chance on banging lower end parts. Looks like it would be a no brainer to go the new gen route if it were not for these things eating lower end parts with no good answer for why. Seems like some guys might have it figured out but they wont say what the problem is because they want to sell engines. Well I wont buy an engine that I know has issues and you wont tell me what the issue is and how to you fixed it.

Okay, here goes nothing and this is my opinion only and everyone has one lol.

Tuning, headers and DP intake manifold design.

First off header design. As you guys can see from the pic's the a/f bungs are reading primary tubes. I've seen this with both TTI's and ARH's. The bungs should be in the collector's so to read an average a/f of each bank. Most tuners tune with a/f #'s but if your only reading a/f's of off 3-4 cylinders, thats just not right.

The DP intake manifold design needs some popsicle sticks and epoxy with a carb or a good tuner that will tune each and every cylinder with EFI. I've dyno'd the 5.7 and 6.1 factory intakes, XV intake and the DP intake. Using 8 egt probes in the header primarie tubes, what I found is that the factory intake manifolds showed the egt's to be within 5*s at high rpm which is incredable. The DP intake not so much with the #3,4,5 and 6 showing the highest egt's. Now if tuners are tuning a/f's based off the rich cylinders (again, a/f bung location) the center cylinders are way lean and will be in detonation. An interesting fact is when I talked with the guys with blown up motors and asked them where their timing was set at WOT, most stated their tuners set them between 25 and 26*s. At the dyno with 105 tuning the timing and fuel curves, we heard audible knock at 27* and our DP engine made the most power and tq at 19.5*s thanks to the very efficient chamber design. I'm also a true believer in keeping the knock sensors in the tuning picture. Most tuners take those out of the equation, but I'd rather have the computer pull timing and fuel to save our very expensive engine if it goes into detonation.

Most the DP engines are built by a few and then tuned by a few certain individuals. Sometimes that marriage doesn't work. Been there done that. I also bet the majority of DP owner's just want to get in the car and hit the go fast pedal and have no clue about EFI tuning or how to data log a pass.

In conclusion and my personal opinion, the center rods get married to the crank because detonation is taking out the rod bearings. I also believe its not an oiling issue cause you would see more failures with the #7/8 bearings. I've asked a couple with blown engines to measure their after carnage piston taper for me to verify my theory, but no responses as of yet. I also would recommened tuning with egt's vs a/f's. I also think Barton would tune this way. Also need 6Packgut to figure out the popsicle stick and epoxy for a carb application. Happy holiday's.

Jerry Williams.
Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: hemidup] #1057285
12/03/11 09:06 PM
12/03/11 09:06 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
thanks Jerry. i was feeling a little abused today. tried calling you last week but you were out. talked to one of the guys in the shop for awhile

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: hemidup] #1057286
12/03/11 09:28 PM
12/03/11 09:28 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Well here is where I am at with my own deal. Never got good answers on why these things are pitching rods at high rpm. I would rather deal with the valvetrain maintenance than take a chance on banging lower end parts. Looks like it would be a no brainer to go the new gen route if it were not for these things eating lower end parts with no good answer for why. Seems like some guys might have it figured out but they wont say what the problem is because they want to sell engines. Well I wont buy an engine that I know has issues and you wont tell me what the issue is and how to you fixed it.

Okay, here goes nothing and this is my opinion only and everyone has one lol.

Tuning, headers and DP intake manifold design.

First off header design. As you guys can see from the pic's the a/f bungs are reading primary tubes. I've seen this with both TTI's and ARH's. The bungs should be in the collector's so to read an average a/f of each bank. Most tuners tune with a/f #'s but if your only reading a/f's of off 3-4 cylinders, thats just not right.

The DP intake manifold design needs some popsicle sticks and epoxy with a carb or a good tuner that will tune each and every cylinder with EFI. I've dyno'd the 5.7 and 6.1 factory intakes, XV intake and the DP intake. Using 8 egt probes in the header primarie tubes, what I found is that the factory intake manifolds showed the egt's to be within 5*s at high rpm which is incredable. The DP intake not so much with the #3,4,5 and 6 showing the highest egt's. Now if tuners are tuning a/f's based off the rich cylinders (again, a/f bung location) the center cylinders are way lean and will be in detonation. An interesting fact is when I talked with the guys with blown up motors and asked them where their timing was set at WOT, most stated their tuners set them between 25 and 26*s. At the dyno with 105 tuning the timing and fuel curves, we heard audible knock at 27* and our DP engine made the most power and tq at 19.5*s thanks to the very efficient chamber design. I'm also a true believer in keeping the knock sensors in the tuning picture. Most tuners take those out of the equation, but I'd rather have the computer pull timing and fuel to save our very expensive engine if it goes into detonation.

Most the DP engines are built by a few and then tuned by a few certain individuals. Sometimes that marriage doesn't work. Been there done that. I also bet the majority of DP owner's just want to get in the car and hit the go fast pedal and have no clue about EFI tuning or how to data log a pass.

In conclusion and my personal opinion, the center rods get married to the crank because detonation is taking out the rod bearings. I also believe its not an oiling issue cause you would see more failures with the #7/8 bearings. I've asked a couple with blown engines to measure their after carnage piston taper for me to verify my theory, but no responses as of yet. I also would recommened tuning with egt's vs a/f's. I also think Barton would tune this way. Also need 6Packgut to figure out the popsicle stick and epoxy for a carb application. Happy holiday's.

Man I hope that you are right and thank you for nutting up and sharing this info.

BIG

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: sixpackgut] #1057287
12/03/11 10:34 PM
12/03/11 10:34 PM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
Quote:

thanks Jerry. i was feeling a little abused today. tried calling you last week but you were out. talked to one of the guys in the shop for awhile

Sorry to miss your call. Must have talked with my partner Denny. I've spent the best part of the last 32 day's in and out of the hospital with my wife's health issues. After 2 lung surgeries, no cancer, life is good and God is great and I'll be back at work next Monday. Feel free to call anytime.

Jerry Williams.
Re: Design me a 3G Hemi bracket engine [Re: hemidup] #1057288
12/04/11 04:47 AM
12/04/11 04:47 AM
IN
Irun5snd8th Offline OP
master
Irun5snd8th  Offline OP
master

IN
Thank you very much for that information. Very sensible theory. And that theory would bode well for my piece because mine would be mechanically fuel injected.

AFCO, Rons Fuel Injection sponsored Dodge Challenger Mention Street Lethal Motorsports
Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31