master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If it bogged you might need more pump shot???

pump shot as in squirter, or as in pump cam?

its got 35 squirters in it right now, primary and secondary. 3.5PV and 75 primary jet, 76 secondary jet. Used to have a 78 secondary in it, but it was running quite a bit richer with that in it. Once I get some solid AFR numbers I think I will have a better direction for jetting

Try a 4.5 PV, 74P and 80S. Then try a Blue pump cam and .031 squirters. Make sure you adjust the pump arms. Blue cam in the front and rear!
Make sure your mixture screws are about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out even if it idles a bit rich. That helps your throttle transition out also.
Looks good!!

Thanks for the advice Brian...is this a jetting combination that you have done on similar builds to mine? That jetting is actually close to what I was going to try again when rejetting (stock was 75p, 80s). Right now my idle screws are about 1/2 to 1 turn out respectively since that was where the best idle and highest vacuum was..should I still try and back them out more even if it compromises idle quality? Or will the different jetting, pump cam, and pv allow it to idle ok with 1.5-2 turns out?

I don't know much about pump cams, but what exactly do they do, and when tuning with them, what do they change exactly? Thanks again as usual..like i said before, I am very happy with the way this engine works, and I think I can hit a low 12 with further tuning, which I will be extatic about considering how little I have into this motor

The pump cam is responsible for the volume/time the squirter sees. Trust me, get 2 blue cams, and go back to .031 squirts. Go up to 4.5 PV, and set the mix screws at 1 1/2 for now.
Yes it will be a tad rich, that's the cam and that's OK.
Very nice looking car and very good for a 9:1 360 4 row!!

sweet, will do Brian! Gonna get some of those secondary jet extensions in there as well (Can't believe I forgot about those things)

Yea, Im pretty damn happy with how its running for such a simple low compression engine....thanks again!

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: 6bblRoadrunner] #1052068
08/14/11 10:29 AM
08/14/11 10:29 AM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

First off...good first outing. My opinion is that you need to increase your launch rpm (I ran into the same issue early on with my 4spd Demon). Like Mr P stated the small block doesn't make a lot of torque, so it needs rpm. You've stated that you have a 2-step in the car so I would keep increasing launch rpm (at the time I was tuning I would go up in increments of 400), then back off when your '60s start going the wrong way. The reason I say this is that (I'm assuming your leaving with the pedal on the floor) you've used your pump shots. The video camera is a great tuning aid for this. I found that what I thought was a clean leave still had a slight bog when reviewing the video.
Keep testing...you'll get it.

will do. Question for ya- when you used a two step, or if you powershifted, did you get fire coming out of the exhaust? I am getting that and im not sure if thats normal or if its something i should be worried about

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052069
08/14/11 12:42 PM
08/14/11 12:42 PM
South Lyon, Michigan
6bblRoadrunner Offline
enthusiast
6bblRoadrunner  Offline
enthusiast

South Lyon, Michigan
Question for ya- when you used a two step, or if you powershifted, did you get fire coming out of the exhaust?

Not that I was aware of...never saw it on the video's. Maybe you're hitting the rev limiter when you shift??? I did hit the high side limiter when it was only set 200rpm above my shift points (I run an MSD Digital6). I've increased it to 400rpm above shift points and don't hear any misfires when I power shift.

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052070
08/14/11 12:59 PM
08/14/11 12:59 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Nice car and great first outing ! Tune tune tune and then some. You will get tons of advise for tuning but the best I can tell you is make one change at a time and write down what changes you made. Believe me its easy sometimes to forget what made it faster or slower and its easy to forget jet sizes as I know that well. Thats why I like to even write down what size jets I put in.

As for launching I agree with some here. I used to bracket race a 340 Dart back in the 80's that ran a best of 11.92 and I had it very consistent for a stick car. I always left the same way every run. That was as soon as I saw even the flicker of the first yellow lite I would zing it up to about 5 or 6K. Then when the last yellow was coming on (or when I wanted to launch) I would floorboard it and pop the clutch. And I mean I would slam it to the floor and hold it there thru the 1/4 mile. As long as you have enough gear it will take it and if it hooks good you will have a great launch. My feeling was I was there to race it and race it hard so I ran it as hard as I could and if it breaks then so be it as I would fix what broke and beef it up. To me thats the only was to launch a stick car.........slam the throttle on the floor and let it rip. Good luck with that cool looking and running Mopar and I bet you hit the 11's soon enough. Ron

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052071
08/14/11 01:24 PM
08/14/11 01:24 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Question for ya- when you used a two step, or if you powershifted, did you get fire coming out of the exhaust? I am getting that and im not sure if thats normal or if its something i should be worried about

How do you have your 2 step button/switch hooked up...
if you have it on the clutch you could be engaging
the 2 step when you hit the clutch

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1052072
08/14/11 01:53 PM
08/14/11 01:53 PM
Temperance, MI
68 HEMI GTS Offline
mopar
68 HEMI GTS  Offline
mopar

Temperance, MI
i always like watching a old school stick car beat up on modern muscle!!

68 Dart GTS "HEMI" 10.30 @ 131 pump gas street car 3780#
69 Roadrunner 511 six pack 10.92 drive to track street car
Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: 6bblRoadrunner] #1052073
08/14/11 02:59 PM
08/14/11 02:59 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Question for ya- when you used a two step, or if you powershifted, did you get fire coming out of the exhaust?

Not that I was aware of...never saw it on the video's. Maybe you're hitting the rev limiter when you shift??? I did hit the high side limiter when it was only set 200rpm above my shift points (I run an MSD Digital6). I've increased it to 400rpm above shift points and don't hear any misfires when I power shift.

I have my shift light set at 5900, so im probably shifting around 6 or 61, limiter set to 6400 i believe. Its alot worse on the launch since as soon as that first amber lights up im sitting on that two step and its popping away

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: 383man] #1052074
08/14/11 03:02 PM
08/14/11 03:02 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Nice car and great first outing ! Tune tune tune and then some. You will get tons of advise for tuning but the best I can tell you is make one change at a time and write down what changes you made. Believe me its easy sometimes to forget what made it faster or slower and its easy to forget jet sizes as I know that well. Thats why I like to even write down what size jets I put in.

As for launching I agree with some here. I used to bracket race a 340 Dart back in the 80's that ran a best of 11.92 and I had it very consistent for a stick car. I always left the same way every run. That was as soon as I saw even the flicker of the first yellow lite I would zing it up to about 5 or 6K. Then when the last yellow was coming on (or when I wanted to launch) I would floorboard it and pop the clutch. And I mean I would slam it to the floor and hold it there thru the 1/4 mile. As long as you have enough gear it will take it and if it hooks good you will have a great launch. My feeling was I was there to race it and race it hard so I ran it as hard as I could and if it breaks then so be it as I would fix what broke and beef it up. To me thats the only was to launch a stick car.........slam the throttle on the floor and let it rip. Good luck with that cool looking and running Mopar and I bet you hit the 11's soon enough. Ron

Thanks! I do have a log book going, I got the girlfriend trained about what im talking about and she's writing it down neatly for me instead of my rushed chicken scratch lol...I have the whole carb setup written down in that book

As far as my launchs go, im going to post another video, but in car, so you guys can see and hear the bog im talking about. As soon as that first amber glows my foot is matted on the throttle against the two step, when its green i dump the clutch and let go of the two step button on the shifter at the exact same time. I have beefed up the car for abuse for this year since last year I broke everything...But i love racing a stick, nothing funner than banging every gear with my right foot down the whole time

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1052075
08/14/11 03:03 PM
08/14/11 03:03 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Question for ya- when you used a two step, or if you powershifted, did you get fire coming out of the exhaust? I am getting that and im not sure if thats normal or if its something i should be worried about

How do you have your 2 step button/switch hooked up...
if you have it on the clutch you could be engaging
the 2 step when you hit the clutch

no I have it on the shifter with a button...i've been told by some that the fire is normal because its popping unburnt fuel? but i thought I would ask here, since its quite the lightshow under the car when im using it lol

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: 68 HEMI GTS] #1052076
08/14/11 03:05 PM
08/14/11 03:05 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

i always like watching a old school stick car beat up on modern muscle!!

yea, tell me about it, felt good! I raced a Z06 vette, which I knew would eat me, but he only caught me half track (mph at 120, if he hooked it would be a monster)

That new chally i raced in my fastest pass was funny....in the staging lanes the guy starts saying that my 60's were slow, how is old capri ran 1.30' 60" foots in the 12's, blah blah blah...then I took his SRT8 challenger out like nothing, and he didnt say much after

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052077
08/14/11 03:09 PM
08/14/11 03:09 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
when its green i dump the clutch and let go of the two step button on the shifter at the exact same time. I have beefed up the car for abuse for this year since last year I broke everything...But i love racing a stick, nothing funner than banging every gear with my right foot down the whole time

Ok I see you have the button on the shifter so that
wouldnt be the issue with the clutch... its common
for the chips in the 2 step to be off on the RPM
(200-400 rpm off) so try putting in a higher chip

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052078
08/14/11 03:26 PM
08/14/11 03:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada

yea, i know, but what can you do right? I wanted to go, and it was the only time I could. Today is an OSCA weekend, with qualifying starting at around 2, so i figured i'd get more runs in on a non even night than an event day. Going back next Friday probably, and possibly staying over for the saturday test and tune as well

Cool I may come down Saturday for some test and tune too!

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1052079
08/14/11 03:40 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

when its green i dump the clutch and let go of the two step button on the shifter at the exact same time. I have beefed up the car for abuse for this year since last year I broke everything...But i love racing a stick, nothing funner than banging every gear with my right foot down the whole time

Ok I see you have the button on the shifter so that
wouldnt be the issue with the clutch... its common
for the chips in the 2 step to be off on the RPM
(200-400 rpm off) so try putting in a higher chip

Hey Mr. P, Ive checked the chip, its definitely working ok as I saw it sitting on 5k when I was at the line...im going to upload a video right of the inside and of the car hitting the tire

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: Dodgem] #1052080
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

yea, i know, but what can you do right? I wanted to go, and it was the only time I could. Today is an OSCA weekend, with qualifying starting at around 2, so i figured i'd get more runs in on a non even night than an event day. Going back next Friday probably, and possibly staying over for the saturday test and tune as well

Cool I may come down Saturday for some test and tune too!

pm me if you do with what your car and your rig is and stuff so we can meet up possibly! Would be nice to meet another mopar guy and a moparts member at that too!

Last edited by mshred; 08/14/11 03:41 PM.
Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: goldmember] #1052081
08/14/11 03:44 PM
08/14/11 03:44 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Sounds like a decent first track visit. I assume you have secondary jet extentions?

Hey man, am I going to need notched floats as well if i go with something like this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-122-5000/

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052082
08/14/11 03:58 PM
08/14/11 03:58 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

If you have it matted when launching, squirters and pump cams won't help you.

If it's a bit lean up top, when you dump the clutch and load the engine off the two step, I bet it's spiking even leaner. Jet it up and see how it reacts. I'd try the jetting Brian suggested. Also look up the factory jetting for the carb and note the jet stagger front to rear and try to run that stagger, or real close, if no PV in rear.

You have plenty of stuff to try. Personally, I'd start with getting the carb jetted for max MPH, then start tweeking with other stuff.

Yes you need a notched float to run those jet extensions.

It's all trial and error.

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: RobX4406] #1052083
08/14/11 04:19 PM
08/14/11 04:19 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

If you have it matted when launching, squirters and pump cams won't help you.

If it's a bit lean up top, when you dump the clutch and load the engine off the two step, I bet it's spiking even leaner. Jet it up and see how it reacts. I'd try the jetting Brian suggested. Also look up the factory jetting for the carb and note the jet stagger front to rear and try to run that stagger, or real close, if no PV in rear.

You have plenty of stuff to try. Personally, I'd start with getting the carb jetted for max MPH, then start tweeking with other stuff.

Yes you need a notched float to run those jet extensions.

It's all trial and error.

The stock jetting was 75 primary, 80 secondary..Brian's suggestion was 74 primary, 80 secondary, so i think i will try that and see what happens since it will be a touch leaner than the stock jetting, which was slightly rich on my last motor. I am using a power valve, but I was wondering what would be the difference of benefit from going to the 4.5 pv opposed to the 3.5 i have in it now.

I will be ordering the jet extensions tommorow along with the floats. Thanks!

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: RobX4406] #1052084
08/14/11 04:20 PM
08/14/11 04:20 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
always nice to se video and pics of your car! and congrats thats some pretty good runs
as for technical i have no idea,but i may pick up some good information in this thread:) your tirepreasure has me thinking alitle on improvements for a friend

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: mshred] #1052085
08/14/11 04:24 PM
08/14/11 04:24 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I was wondering what would be the difference of benefit from going to the 4.5 pv opposed to the 3.5 i have in it now.

I will be ordering the jet extensions tommorow along with the floats. Thanks!

The 4.5 PV will open sooner than the 3.5

Re: Finally got out to the track last night!!... [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1052086
08/14/11 05:36 PM
08/14/11 05:36 PM
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

I think guys were assuming you weren't leaving matted and still had some pump shot left to play with.

The 4.5 will open earlier than a 3.5 would. Not sure how that would effect anything at the track because it's likely open from the time you mat it. If you had a vacuum gauge you could observe it when matting. You could test it at home, put it on the two step and see what it reads. If vacuum is below the PV number, it's open.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4