Middle River, MD
M
Mapandjlp Offline OP
mopar
Mapandjlp  Offline OP
mopar
M

Middle River, MD
I just fired this motor up for the first time in March; Fresh mild 360, new Edelbrock AVS carb (1806) that's worked great till now. First time this happened was the weekend of Carlisle. I jumped on the gas and the throttle stuck to about 1/3 open. I popped the throttle and it went back to idle. Since then, it's gotten progressively worse, now sticking at 1/3 throttle pretty much any time I put the pedal down over 1/2 and ease out of it.

The cable and kickdown linkage are running free. No problem there. I disconnected all linkage and moved the throttle plates open and closed. It seems to have a bind between the primary and secondary linkages that causes a "clicking" or catch spot that seems to match where the throttle would be when it "sticks". I've not removed the carb yet to check things out. Just thought I'd ask some opinions on here first.

Oh, and let's not make this an Eddy bashing thread, please. I like the Eddy.

Thanks, Guys!

Re: Edelbrock 650 AVS - Sticking throttle plates [Re: Mapandjlp] #1045648
08/02/11 10:08 AM
08/02/11 10:08 AM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
I always check the throttle plates on any carb I work on. Loose plates or a burr on them can make tuning very difficult. Sometimes the screws will work loose and the plate will move around. BUT first double check your throttle cable and the return springs. They are your most likely cause, then check the gas pedal and make sure its not hanging up on something, I couldn't get WOT on my truck one day and when I checked my babies teddy bear was up under the pedal linkage under the dash.

Re: Edelbrock 650 AVS - Sticking throttle plates [Re: Cudajon] #1045649
08/02/11 04:42 PM
08/02/11 04:42 PM
Middle River, MD
M
Mapandjlp Offline OP
mopar
Mapandjlp  Offline OP
mopar
M

Middle River, MD
Thanks for the reply. I had a chance to pull the carb today and check things out. Turns out the secondaries were hitting the sides of the 1/2" four hole spacer I've got under the carb to help with heat. A bit of adjustment and it's all good...

Now, if I could just find the refrigerant leak...