07/30/11 08:36 PM
07/30/11 08:36 PM
Williamsport PA North Central ...
13ChargerR/T AWD Offline OP
master
13ChargerR/T AWD  Offline OP
master

I have the old headliner and all the molding/supports out. I ended up painting some of the interior stuff so it took a bit longer than I expected for it to get a couple coats and dry so im waiting until tomorrow to get it in as I dont think 1 hour is enough. Anyone put one in and have any tips or hints to do it or make it go easier? I will have a helper but thats about it and its more or less just to help hold the pannel while I get the molding and screws in place as its my 11 year old or wife lol..so not anyone mechanically inclined

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: 13ChargerR/T AWD] #1043410
07/31/11 04:27 AM
07/31/11 04:27 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Hey..... I remember you!
I have installed 4 of these. Having the front seat out really helps. Also, when lifting the headliner into place, center the dome light hole in the headliner with the mount in the roof crossmember. Have the bolts ready that retain the shoulder belt of the seat belts. Once the headliner is pressed into place, install the seat belt bolts. These will hold the headliner in place while you install all of the remaining trim parts. Take the seat belt bolts out to slip the seat belt hanger into place, then reinstall the bolt. Do this one side at a time.
The front and rear window rubber gaskets will need to be peeled back with popsicle sticks to lay over the headliner. I used popsicle sticks to keep from scuffing the paint.
Finally, just for kicks, I put padding against the underside of the roof skin as a sound deadener.

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Kern Dog] #1043411
07/31/11 09:39 AM
07/31/11 09:39 AM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
where did you get the abs headliner?

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Kern Dog] #1043412
07/31/11 12:21 PM
07/31/11 12:21 PM
master
master

Quote:

Hey..... I remember you!
I have installed 4 of these. Having the front seat out really helps. Also, when lifting the headliner into place, center the dome light hole in the headliner with the mount in the roof crossmember. Have the bolts ready that retain the shoulder belt of the seat belts. Once the headliner is pressed into place, install the seat belt bolts. These will hold the headliner in place while you install all of the remaining trim parts. Take the seat belt bolts out to slip the seat belt hanger into place, then reinstall the bolt. Do this one side at a time.
The front and rear window rubber gaskets will need to be peeled back with popsicle sticks to lay over the headliner. I used popsicle sticks to keep from scuffing the paint.
Finally, just for kicks, I put padding against the underside of the roof skin as a sound deadener.

For some reason I have never had(though I see the holes for it) shoulder belts for it.... maybe i will try to get some B4 I go on...sounds like they would help a lot..mine just had lap belts for some reason just like the RoadRunner lol....or at least find the bolts to retain the headliner for help...now that I think of it id not be able to use the shoulder belts lol no where to click them into...

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: 340duster340] #1043413
07/31/11 12:22 PM
07/31/11 12:22 PM
master
master

Quote:

where did you get the abs headliner?

Actually I got it off Ebay it was $259 shipped and covered by the black vinyl type material. And if you price them out from other places thats($259) a real good deal as it was free shipping.

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: 13ChargerR/T AWD] #1043414
07/31/11 03:54 PM
07/31/11 03:54 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I should have mentioned that 1974 was the first year that the A body cars came with 3 point seat belts! The lap belt cars would NOT have had any bolts there! I did install 3 point belts in a 73 Dart Sport that originally was a lap belt car. The anchor points were already there. maybe it was a mid or late year build. Regardless, if you have no seat belt bolt holes and do NOT intend to install them, the dome light base is adequate to hold the headliner in place, especially if you have the help from an additional person.
One final note....On one of my installs, I had to trim the headliner where it slips UNDER the windshield gasket. I tried to pry it under but it kept buckling until I shaved 1/4 inch all across the front. I mention this because I just read that yours is a "covered" unit. All mine were simply painted.

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Kern Dog] #1043415
07/31/11 04:25 PM
07/31/11 04:25 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

I should have mentioned that 1974 was the first year that the A body cars came with 3 point seat belts! The lap belt cars would NOT have had any bolts there! I did install 3 point belts in a 73 Dart Sport that originally was a lap belt car. The anchor points were already there. maybe it was a mid or late year build. Regardless, if you have no seat belt bolt holes and do NOT intend to install them, the dome light base is adequate to hold the headliner in place, especially if you have the help from an additional person.
One final note....On one of my installs, I had to trim the headliner where it slips UNDER the windshield gasket. I tried to pry it under but it kept buckling until I shaved 1/4 inch all across the front. I mention this because I just read that yours is a "covered" unit. All mine were simply painted.

My 72 Dart had three point harness in it, not a self retracting set up, but it had shoulder and lap belts, it was a late 72 build California car if that matters.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Supercuda] #1043416
07/31/11 04:35 PM
07/31/11 04:35 PM
albemarle, NC
D
dusterbd13 Offline
enthusiast
dusterbd13  Offline
enthusiast
D

albemarle, NC
my 70 duster also had sholder belts, the non retracting kind. never seen a duster without the mounts for that matter, no matter the year.

im going away from the two seperate belts and going with the XV retractable setup. they appear to be much more comfortable.

Michael Crawford CSP 1970 plymouth Duster back under construction: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.ph...ouring-makeover 1964 el camino beater shop truck 96403-project-drivabeater-2-0-64-el-camino-this-time
Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: dusterbd13] #1043417
07/31/11 05:49 PM
07/31/11 05:49 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Here I go again, thinking and not writing! I meant to write that 1974 was the first year of RETRACTABLE 3 point seat belts. Dang... Thanks for being patient with me. Sorry for being unclear on that!

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Kern Dog] #1043418
07/31/11 05:55 PM
07/31/11 05:55 PM
master
master

Quote:

I always wondered that on the seatbelts...my roadrunner was a lap belt only also but I put in a shoulder belt..I DO have the screws in there and ive debated on what to do but I know id need some other set up cause the lap belt would have no place to plug into....but I was not sure on the years that did or didnt have them. I will try to have a knife on hand for trimming...I was debating just running the bolts into the holes(if I can find some laying around) just so they are there if I ever do "upgrade" them. its not like it would look horrid or anything..

I got the covered unit because when I bought it they asked me if I wanted it uncovered, covered in vinyl or covered n cloth...so I figured the vinyl would look good plus no extra charge for it so could not go wrong..

TY for the tips guys this is gonna make it go MUCH smoother!

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Kern Dog] #1043419
07/31/11 07:17 PM
07/31/11 07:17 PM
master
master

Quote:

Hey..... I remember you!

Yeah ive been gone about 3 years or so. Got a bit off track and disgruntled with the old car scene...didnt really want to do the show thing...I found them rather..well BORING to be honest...and im not talking going to them to look..i still do and like that..im talking the register the car get there at 9-10am and stay there till 4PM stuff..cant stand doing that...I like to go, look for a bit talk for a bit then leave..1-2.5 hours TOPS(unless its a Carlisle size show) and thats all the guys in my club at the time did..since then ive just started going to cruise ins..staying long enough to see all the cars and chat then just going..thats much more fun. During that time I almost sold the car..just had other stuff I was into and doing(competitive shooting sports) and spending $$$ on..but thats worn off a bit and now im in the position to do both the car thing and the shooting thing on a more limited casual basis..just didnt have enough $$ for car parts AND new guns lol.

Went to Carlisle this year and that really got me back into the car scene so I bought this headliner and had saw Demon Sizzlers TQ for sale and got one to add to replace the Eddie 750 thats on the car now but is rather hard to start after the car sits a while...plus figured id try something new .

Now I keep trying to get this headliner in and I keep running into time problems like its almost dark(after painting everything last night and letting it fry by the time id have gotten to do this it was 730pm and I wanted more than a hour of sunlight to do it) and now as I started its raining (got ready to do it at 5pm tonight and noticed it was getting awful dark..the weather mans forecast of a 100% sunny and DRY day was wrong..we got rain from 5pm-630...so more delays lol.

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: 13ChargerR/T AWD] #1043420
07/31/11 10:24 PM
07/31/11 10:24 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Good choice: Going with painted bumpers. The 73-76 Darts have larger bumpers than the same year Dusters did, and the paint hides the size somewhat.

Re: A Body ABS headliner install [Re: Kern Dog] #1043421
08/01/11 12:32 AM
08/01/11 12:32 AM
master
master

Quote:

Good choice: Going with painted bumpers. The 73-76 Darts have larger bumpers than the same year Dusters did, and the paint hides the size somewhat.

actually they are Fiberglass ones Shhhh ( still got the old originals at the inlaws house