07/12/11 12:32 PM
07/12/11 12:32 PM
katakan
L
lilred Offline OP
lilred  Offline OP
L

katakan
Hi, I'am in Phoenix visiting for a while and wondering which would be a more entertaining race to go to on saturday, the bracket races at firebird or the southwest nostalgia races at speedworld, sounds like the speedworld one is having a car show as well, has this happened before and was there a decent turnout??
I also noticed firebird has a Friday Night Drag Run What Ya Brung race, wondering how that one usually turns out,
Hoping some members out in the phoenix area can give me some feedback and opinions, Thanks.

Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: lilred] #1030944
07/12/11 02:34 PM
07/12/11 02:34 PM
Mesa, AZ
cagebob1 Offline
enthusiast
cagebob1  Offline
enthusiast

Mesa, AZ
Haven't been to Firebird on a Friday night in quite a while, but it used to be almost totally the ricer crowd. In my opinion, Speedworld is always a better place to go if you want to see real race cars.
CageBob

Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: cagebob1] #1030945
07/12/11 03:21 PM
07/12/11 03:21 PM
Gilbert, AZ
A
Aspen7695 Offline
super stock
Aspen7695  Offline
super stock
A

Gilbert, AZ
If you have a set of wheels(even a rental car)come out and race at Firebird on Friday night. It is $10.00 to get in and another $10.00 to race. This time of year there are only 50 to 60 cars and bikes there so you can get a lot of runs. The majority are foreign cars,and street cars, but there will be some fast cars testing for the Saturday Team Race. They also have a Trophy race that is free for anyone who paid to run their car.

On Saturday there is a Nostalga Show at Speedworld. Along with that there is the car show and a Stock/Super Stock race. I'm not sure how many Stock/Super Stock cars will show up. I know that 5 of us that race Stock Eliminator will be at Firebird for the Team race. Speedworld is a nice track. It is an old time rather small track but the racing is good.

On Saturday there is a Team race and Race #5 of the State Championship Series at Firebird. There should be 70-80 cars there. Quite a few cars from Speedworld will be there since they are in the hunt for the State Cahmpionship. Last race there were a lot of racers from Tucson that came up to race. It is a newer and larger track that hosts a Divisional and National event.

I think you will have a good time at which ever track you attend. Be warned that it will be over 100* even at 6:00 pm and may stay there until midnight. The humidity will be in the 20% to 30% range. Bring lots to drink.

Both nights the racing at Firebird will be carried live on 1320go.com.

If you decide to come to Firebird on Friday come up to the starting line and say hi. I'll either be in the water box or I'll be the starter. Saturday I'll be racing my Duster.

Raul

Last edited by Duster7695; 07/12/11 08:15 PM.
Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: Aspen7695] #1030946
07/12/11 07:08 PM
07/12/11 07:08 PM
katakan
L
lilred Offline OP
lilred  Offline OP
L

katakan
We're out here with our gas sipper, so don't want to beat on it as it's our ticket back, we have been at speedworld a couple of times, once approximately this time of the year last summer and we also were out here at christmas and went to the day races on new years day, both times were ok but I expected to see alot more cars, but again they were at bad times, heat of summer and new years day so it's hard to judge if the light turnout is normal or not, we have never been to firebird so leaning towards it as it's an nhra track and we have been to denver and brainerd to national events over the years, indy for the mopar nationals, so it would nice to be at firebird as well as it's a big name nhra track, saw it on tv but never in person. We were hoping to get to some car shows, cruise spots but don't know where to go except for the Mcdonalds/scottsdale show. Thanks for your info, will try to see you at the track, so you figure Friday there will be a decent turnout as well???

Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: lilred] #1030947
07/12/11 09:24 PM
07/12/11 09:24 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

We're out here with our gas sipper, so don't want to beat on it as it's our ticket back, we have been at speedworld a couple of times, once approximately this time of the year last summer and we also were out here at christmas and went to the day races on new years day, both times were ok but I expected to see alot more cars, but again they were at bad times, heat of summer and new years day so it's hard to judge if the light turnout is normal or not, we have never been to firebird so leaning towards it as it's an nhra track and we have been to denver and brainerd to national events over the years, indy for the mopar nationals, so it would nice to be at firebird as well as it's a big name nhra track, saw it on tv but never in person. We were hoping to get to some car shows, cruise spots but don't know where to go except for the Mcdonalds/scottsdale show. Thanks for your info, will try to see you at the track, so you figure Friday there will be a decent turnout as well???

I've raced at both tracks. I race with the ADRA so Speedworld is my home track. The "show" will be better at Speedworld with the nastalgia stuff - if you are in to that. That's where I'm heading anyway. Have fun and stay cool! - 15 minutes between rounds - your cooling system better be up to snuff!!

Fastest 300
Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: Crizila] #1030948
07/12/11 11:47 PM
07/12/11 11:47 PM
Arizona
PolyDart Offline
super stock
PolyDart  Offline
super stock

Arizona
I plan on racing my Dart at the Nostalgia Drags at Speedworld this weekend. Looking forward to it

Quote:

both times were ok but I expected to see alot more cars, but again they were at bad times, heat of summer and new years day so it's hard to judge if the light turnout is normal or not,

Middle of summer is pretty much the off season. Even though the track is open 12 months, racing when it's 100+ up until 9pm is a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]. Our monsoons are here and it hasn't been as hot the last week or so. In fact right now it's really nice out 95 deg and relatively low humidity.

6726898-ShowNGo148.jpg (148 downloads)
Last edited by ab7fh; 07/12/11 11:53 PM.
Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: PolyDart] #1030949
07/13/11 03:38 AM
07/13/11 03:38 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
If you are going to be around through the end of the month,

there is a PSCA Race in Vegas on the 29th & 30th. www.pscaracing.com

Now that's a great show..

Chris..

Re: drag races: firebird/ speedworld????????? [Re: lilred] #1030950
07/13/11 09:22 AM
07/13/11 09:22 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Speedworld! While it is the "off season" for us here, the nostalgia show usually brings some nice Calif. cars along with local talent that covers almost everything. Unlike some other places, there's no "Gasser" or FE dragster group here, so those types come out when thee events pop up.