Mansfield,Ohio
B
Brandon70cuda Offline OP
enthusiast
Brandon70cuda  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Mansfield,Ohio
I'm going to look at a winnebago tomorrow and as of right now I have no clue what year it is or much of anything but the price is right aka free and the people that have it bought it new. They are getting rid of it because they never use it anymore and now they lost the keys. So I'm trying to cover all my bases on wirings so I can try to bypass the switch and see if it'll start.

So the question is did they ever put the leanburn systen on motorhomes or was it mostly something they put on cars? Also if anyone knows what color the wire I would put power to if it is leanburn that would be great, but I understand if no one wants to say in the open.

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: Brandon70cuda] #102568
08/10/08 08:06 PM
08/10/08 08:06 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
AFAIK, Lean burn was only cars. I really doubt they would try that on a MH.
If it's a matter of seeing if it will start, PM sent.

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: RodStRace] #102569
08/10/08 10:29 PM
08/10/08 10:29 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I doubt the rv's ever would have had lean burn. Electronic spark control, maybe(doubtful), but lean burn died before emissions regs were imposed on the bigger vehicles.

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: RodStRace] #102570
08/10/08 11:45 PM
08/10/08 11:45 PM
Mansfield,Ohio
B
Brandon70cuda Offline OP
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Mansfield,Ohio
I thought so but I just didn't want to get there and go oh crap the one ignition system I know jack about.

Thanks for the PM RodStRace that saved me some time hunting thru my repair manuals to figure it all out.

I'm really hoping it has the switch in the dash so it's easy to change without having to get a locksmith to come out to rekey it. I'm told it's an A class so from what I remember of older MH's their is a chance.

Being my luck it'll end up being from the 80's and have chebbie power but we'll see tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: Brandon70cuda] #102571
08/11/08 12:28 AM
08/11/08 12:28 AM
Canuckville
68Cbarge Offline
master
68Cbarge  Offline
master

Canuckville
Trucks over a certain GVW were LeanBurn exempt.That includes motorhomes.Even some were cat convertor exempt-depending on what year and GVW.
I only had seen some /6 & 318 1/2 ton Rams have the LeanBurn.
All others had the Electronic Ignition.

'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget!! BOAB
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
2008 Chrysler 300c HEMI!
Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: 68Cbarge] #102572
08/11/08 10:28 AM
08/11/08 10:28 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
In this age of high gasoline prices
it would be interesting
to take two Chrysler 318 V8 vehicles
and do 'convoy' style MPG test trips
where lean burn was used on one vehicle for the first trip,
then the lean burn was swapped to the 2nd vehicle and its system swapped to the 1st vehicle, and the same trip repeated.

This is the SAE/TMC Type 4 MPG test that can detect down to as little as a 2% difference with high accuracy.

Chrysler's short lived Lean Burn had a bad reputation,
but how much fuel did it really save?

Members here on Moparts are uniquely qualified to do such a volunteer experiment. It might really give a MPG gain, unlike so much of the hokum & fraud circulating on the Internet right now (Acetone, HHO generators, Tornado swirly-gigs)

Since Honda claims to have recently created a new style of catalytic converter than can reduce NOx in lean AFR like used in diesels, people are looking at lean burn again. This article reviews the history:

http://www.designnews.com/article/9710-Thirty_Year_Quest_for_Lean_Burn.php

Note that the current 5.7 and 6.1 V8 twin plug engines are very similar to the Nissan NAPS-Z, in fact the old NAPS-Z emissions data published in the SAE Journal allegedly convinced Chrysler to go ahead with the 'crazy idea' Hemi revival.

With a SCT tuner,
how lean could a 5.7/6.1 V8 go at highways cruise?

In Australia models of the Insight
Honda used lean burn at Highway cruise when throttle movement had been gentle for awhile:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_110187/article.html?popularArticle

sample quote

The Insight, unlike the Prius, also has a lean cruise mode. In this mode, the air/fuel ratio goes leaner than the stoichiometric 14.7:1 that the Prius runs all the time. In addition, the Insight can also switch out of closed loop, running rich air/fuel ratios of around 12.5:1 under full throttle at high revs.

So, how lean does lean cruise go? Thereby hangs a story...

Air/Fuel Ratios

Despite plenty of tech information on the Insight being available on the web, it appears no one has ever directly measured air/fuel ratios and then posted the data. I used a professional MoTeC air/fuel ratio meter to determine the above information – that the Insight runs in closed loop 14.7:1 (or around 14.7 – say 14.5 to 14.8) a lot of the time; that the air/fuel ratios go richer at high load/high rpm; and that lean cruise is significantly lean.

Most cars that run lean cruise use an air/fuel ratio of about 16.5:1. (Incidentally, lean cruise is now outlawed for conventional new cars here in Australia because of the high NOx emissions that occur when running lean. Car companies used to configure lean cruise to come into action only at loads and speeds not achieved in the emissions test cycle. More on NOx in a minute.) Compared with stoichiometric (14.7:1), a 16.5:1 air/fuel ratio means that – all other things being equal – about 12 per cent less fuel is used.

Tech resources on the Insight suggest that lean cruise air/fuel ratios can be as lean as 22:1. However, when I put the very accurate MoTeC meter on the Insight, the real story was revealed. Out onto the freeway and the air/fuel ratio stuck at 14.7:1. Then, after a few minutes of 110 km/h, the air/fuel ratio numbers started changing.

To sixteen to one.

Then seventeen to one.

Eighteen to one.

Nineteen to one.

Twenty to one.

Twenty-one to one.

Twenty-two to one.

At this point I exclaimed out loud – never had I seen such a lean air/fuel ratio on a running engine. Never.

Twenty three to one.

I gasped “$h1t!”

Twenty four to one.

I laughed out loud.

Then, a stunning twenty-five to one!

That’s right, the Honda happily trundles down the highway with a measured air/fuel ratio of 25:1! To anyone with any knowledge of contemporary car tuning, that’s a jaw-dropping figure. In fact, perhaps more than any other readily observable characteristic of the Insight, the 25:1 lean cruise shows the brilliance of Honda’s engineers.

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: 360view] #102573
08/11/08 12:02 PM
08/11/08 12:02 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOOc Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOOc  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Twenty-two to one.

At this point I exclaimed out loud – never had I seen such a lean air/fuel ratio on a running engine. Never.

Twenty three to one.

I gasped “$h1t!”

Twenty four to one.

I laughed out loud.

Then, a stunning twenty-five to one!

That’s right, the Honda happily trundles down the highway with a measured air/fuel ratio of 25:1! To anyone with any knowledge of contemporary car tuning, that’s a jaw-dropping figure. In fact, perhaps more than any other readily observable characteristic of the Insight, the 25:1 lean cruise shows the brilliance of Honda’s engineers.

But Mazda/Ford was trying that with water injection in the mid/late 80's !! IIRC ... it was 24 to 1.

I also tried it on a '77 Dodge Dually towing a trailer .... and it worked great. I don't know exactly how lean it was but it would do a lean-surge and then I put the H2O on ...and bumped the timing up 3 or so degrees. Plus ... I had to use mid-grade fuel ...and I dropped that down to regular. Now if I ran the tank out of water ..... it would rattle like heck. Let us just say this....I never went very many places without a 5 gallon jug of water.

That Honda Insight is a very impressive piece. Are you aware that the motor was over 11 to 1 compression ratio? .... and it also was ALL aluminum. Very trick.

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: dOOc] #102574
08/11/08 11:19 PM
08/11/08 11:19 PM
Mansfield,Ohio
B
Brandon70cuda Offline OP
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Mansfield,Ohio
Ok now you guys have my thinking bad thoughts

Gas mileage on a MH usually is pretty bad, yet it carries a good sized water tank already

Btw for anyone that was wondering the owner found the keys thankfully. It ended up being a 413 with standard electronic ignition, which is nice . If it had any brake pedal I think it would of drove home.

Now I'm just praying the towing company I always use goes easy on me price wise to get it home. 160miles round trip won't be cheap no matter what.

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: Brandon70cuda] #102575
08/11/08 11:28 PM
08/11/08 11:28 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOOc Offline
dOOc  Offline

Florida STAYcation
What are you going to do with the 413 ? .... And how about other parts off the MH ? ... like the roof air and frig ...etc ??

Re: Leanburn on motorhomes?? [Re: dOOc] #102576
08/12/08 05:17 PM
08/12/08 05:17 PM
Mansfield,Ohio
B
Brandon70cuda Offline OP
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Mansfield,Ohio
I was going to keep it and fix it up and use it but the old fart called this morning and decided to give it to his son inlaw instead, after I made the 160mi round trip to see it and had a tow company ready to go get it.

So it'll all end up in a scrap yard around maple heights because he said his son inlaw scraps cars.