Print Thread
EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed #1021017
06/26/11 10:48 PM
06/26/11 10:48 PM
bc
37dodge Offline OP
37dodge  Offline OP

bc
I just bought a 2011 ram 1500 i would like to add a second tank in the front of the box (32 gal.). I'm buying a tonneau cover to hide the tank.

How would i hook it up?

I'm thinking i would need a complete fuel system for the second tank?

thanks nick

Re: EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed [Re: 37dodge] #1021018
06/26/11 11:42 PM
06/26/11 11:42 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

depends on how fancy you want to make it.
do you have to be able to shift tanks on the fly?

since your pump is intank, I would agree, but you would have to y the fuel lines with check valves to each fuel tank that way.

Wouldn't it be simpler to have a valve that drained the secondary tank into the main tank?

you could shut it off when your gauge read full?

Re: EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed [Re: Andrewh] #1021019
06/27/11 12:47 AM
06/27/11 12:47 AM
bc
37dodge Offline OP
37dodge  Offline OP

bc

i was thinking of the second tank draining into the main with a shut off. My only concern is if i forget to shut the second tank off and then take the fuel cap off.

On the efi does the fuel tank have a vent, that was a concern also, but i don't think it does.

Re: EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed [Re: 37dodge] #1021020
06/27/11 08:29 AM
06/27/11 08:29 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I have always had a 110 gallon tank in the bed of my last 2 pickups. I hate getting ripped off out on the road paying for premium and getting reg gas. My motor can tell and so can I but most of the time your going down the highway and don't have time to go back and complain. So I leave my shop with as much good gas as I can.

I took my filler pipe out and welded a 1/4" BUNG IN IT and use a electric pump and a 12v shutoff with a switch on my dash. The shutoff looks just like a nitrous soleniod. When the tank get's low I turn on the fuel pump and watch my gas gauge go up as I'm driving down the road.

Diesel is legal in a bed mounted tank, gas is not. I don't have any labels on my bed mounted gas tank. Been doing it since 1993. I also have a 12v pump mounted in the top of the tank too, it makes fueling generators, lawn mowers, and other people cars or trucks a breeze to fill. We also use gas at the track to clean parts, I have a rolling gas pump. lol

I have a rocker switch on my dash that lights up when the pump is on, I have never forgot to turn it off. I only use it while I'm driving. Pisses people off when they got to piss because I don't have to stop to refuel very often. lol
Can't really see the tank, it's painted black to blend in with the bed liner, you can see the pump in the top.

Unless you already have the tank, I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 32 gal tank. Get at least a 55 or bigger, it's gonna take up about the same amount of space in the bed. My first tank was like 40 gal and it got replaced with a bigger tank the first year.

1000 pounds is the most weight you can legally haul with hazmat materials without red placards and a hazmat endorced CDL license, so 110 gallon tank is the largest that is common because it is under a 1000 pounds counting the weight of the tank and pump.

Re: EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed [Re: 37dodge] #1021021
06/27/11 10:56 AM
06/27/11 10:56 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Quote:

i was thinking of the second tank draining into the main with a shut off. My only concern is if i forget to shut the second tank off and then take the fuel cap off.

If you put a floating ball check valve in the line it should prevent it from leaking down past the fuel reaching the valve. I bet some of the newer cars already have that type since the rollover valve in the vent tube is below the top of the filler neck.

Quote:

On the efi does the fuel tank have a vent, that was a concern also, but i don't think it does.

All tanks have a "let air IN" vent to relieve vacuum but none have a direct "let air OUT" to air vent. Any air leaving the tank has to pass through a charcoal canister.

Some tanks have a return line and some do not. If your EFI rail has a pressure regulator and two lines running to the fuel rail then you would need to take into consideration a return line. If you have only 1 line and no return line or pressure regulator then the pressure regulator is in the tank (Ma Mopar started this on the trucks around 93/94 and still does today).

If you do not have a return line then put a switch in the dash to swap electricity to the pumps and use a T with two check valves to prevent one pump from filling the other. You will have two seperate systems one switch. A double pole switch could tie in the fuel guage also. If you have a return line then you would need a mechanical switch to swap return lines or you would pump from tank A and return to tank B eventually overfilling tank B.

Re: EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed [Re: IMGTX] #1021022
06/27/11 11:42 AM
06/27/11 11:42 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

If you put a floating ball check valve in the line it should prevent it from leaking down past the fuel reaching the valve. I bet some of the newer cars already have that type since the rollover valve in the vent tube is below the top of the filler neck.

Quote:

All tanks have a "let air IN" vent to relieve vacuum but none have a direct "let air OUT" to air vent. Any air leaving the tank has to pass through a charcoal canister.

Some tanks have a return line and some do not. If your EFI rail has a pressure regulator and two lines running to the fuel rail then you would need to take into consideration a return line. If you have only 1 line and no return line or pressure regulator then the pressure regulator is in the tank (Ma Mopar started this on the trucks around 93/94 and still does today).

If you do not have a return line then put a switch in the dash to swap electricity to the pumps and use a T with two check valves to prevent one pump from filling the other. You will have two seperate systems one switch. A double pole switch could tie in the fuel guage also. If you have a return line then you would need a mechanical switch to swap return lines or you would pump from tank A and return to tank B eventually overfilling tank B.

Or do it my way and nothing get's modified except the filler neck. No venting issues, return line issues or check balls to get stuck. Easy to put a plug in the bung fitting in the filler neck when you take the tank out for the next truck.

Also doing it my way, it don't matter if it's carb or EFI or diesel.

Having the engine draw fuel from the aux tank is way too complicated and expensive.

Re: EFI EXPERTS adding a second fuel tank in a truck bed [Re: 37dodge] #1021023
06/27/11 01:01 PM
06/27/11 01:01 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Here is the proper fuel cap for a portable fuel tank. You can't use fill caps like off of heating oil or off/on road diesel tanks because they don't seal tight. This type of cap eliminates the vent on the tank because it is the vent.

Ever see someone with pigtail looking thing on there bed mounted tank for a vent? Well they don't work and can leak fuel all over if you ever park out of level with a full tank of fuel and don't vent enough to use a pump on top.
Then you see the tanks with raised filler pipes because there fill caps leak. And having a raised filler neck looks bad and makes it harder to fill and still leaks.

This cap act's just like a radiator cap and will relieve pressure as needed and also will allow the tank to vent like when I use the pump on top to pump 12 gallons a minute with my 12V pump. As long as you leave room for expansion of the fuel, I can drive around for weeks with a full tank and it never spills out or even smells, because it's sealed under light pressure. It comes with a cast iron base that screws in to the tank and this cap fit's it. It's the only way to seal and vent your portable fuel tanks without any worry of spillage.

I also use it on all my above ground stationary storage tanks as it keeps the gas fumes from excaping and humidity out of my tanks. We don't vent much to the air anymore.

I've been in the fuel business since 1983.

Yup that's a steel tank custom made years ago. Aluminum would be much nicer, but's all I could afford 18 years ago. No filter needed, it just makes for more clutter on top by the pump. It has a couple of magnets that have been in the bottem of the tank for like 10 years now to catch and hold rust. Works real well.

Here's what opens up to allow air into the tank when pumping fuel out.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 06/27/11 02:11 PM.