that got his 'clock cleaned' by the RR, towing a boat?

dbdartman
Moparts
posted 09-06-2002 12:47 PM

It was a GREAT story & deserves retelling.
Ya gonna own up to it?

DB

========================================

WEEDLAYER
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 01:16 PM

I wanna hear this one

======================================

Paul
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 02:09 PM

sounds like an urban legend.... but worth hearing regardless.

==================================

KillerBill
Moparts Member
From: Boardman, Ohio-Quietly fighting the ricer-invasion!
posted 09-06-2002 02:13 PM

Wasn't the Runner going uphill with the parking brake on too?!!

====================================

scottmon
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 02:17 PM

Similar vein...I remember Gary Donovan of 10 second K-car fame telling a story of busting a 5.0 in his hot rod '89 Shelby Daytona with a washing machine sticking out of the hatch, LOL! That has to be one of the most embarrasing spanks I can think of.

=====================================

rt66jim
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 04:13 PM

When I was in high school(65-66). An guy couple of years older than me had a 60 Impala power pack 283. He was in Baxter Springs, Ks on then Rt 66 coming home to Welch,Ok. A fellow who operated a used car lot in Welch was coming back from Chicago where he went to the auction to buy cars. He was driving a red Cornet 500 towing another car. They both pulled up to the stop light and the 283 guy wants to race. The Dodge spanked him hard. The next day the 283 guy is the proud new owner of a 500 with a 383 4bbl that came from Mr. Norm's.

Quick Kurt
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 04:25 PM

Back in the summer of 1983, I was rebuilding the original 440 in my 71 300. I had a 67 440 (LP) swapped in for temporary duty. While taking the diassembled, but complete 440 to the machine shop, some guy in a brand new Z28 gave me the stink-eye. I scorched the guy bad in a 55mph kick-down race....with an extra 440 in my trunk.
I wish I could have run across him later, with more compression, cam, a blueprint job....and 600lb less weight.

=======================================

jrhmobile
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 07:06 PM

Ok, I'll bite. This is a true story. I'm living in Texas, cruising east on I-20 between Abilene & Ft. Worth at 95 miles an hour in the mid-'80s. Great speeding territory -- straight, flat and wide-open. You could fall asleep on the road for an hour and wake up in the same lane. You could also detect a radar gun from 10 miles away ...
Anyway, I'm cruising and I see this jacked-up Dodge pickup closing on me big time. This isn't all that unusual, since every cowboy speeds along I-20 too. So I'm watching it grow and grow in my rear view mirror.

Then it steps out to pass me and as it's cruising by me at a good 15-20 miles per hour over my clip, I see it's got a fifth-wheel flatbed trailer hauling a good 10 tons of tool steel! My ride can't keep up with that, so my jaw drops and I watch it sail away.

About 20 miles later, I drop off the highway to get gas. I see this rig at the diesel pump, pumping in lots of fuel. The truck was equipped with a CAT tractor motor a four-over-three transmission and a Class 8 tractor rear end.

Companies used to use these to deliver parts to busted oil rigs on the Oil Patch because they couldn't swing tractor-trailer rigs around out in the boonies where the oil rigs were.

Randy Hagan

FuryIII
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 07:50 PM

my car is a faamily vehicle. its not meant to be a racer. but my neighbor, who think furds is de bestest, bought a new 5.0 in 1996. he langhed at my Fury one day at the local country store. i ignored him for the most part, but did eat at my gut a bit. so i pulled out and headed home. i was running along about 55 whe he ran right up on my bumper and acted the fool. i had had enough.
the 335 hp 383 aint no slouch. i punched it.
when he caught me, finnaly, turning into my driveway, he pulled in behind me. he wanted to know what i had in it. he had seen it when i bought it, but since it was mopar, it didnt innterest him. i told him it was a stock slant 6. i would not even raise the hood. needless to say he now respects my car.

feets
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 07:54 PM

er.... umm......
ya see, it was me.

Back in '88 I had a green '74 Road Runner. The little 360/727/3.23 SG combo would make short work out of the local Mudstains and Camaros running the roads. One of my favorite tricks was to tease an IROC Camaro into a highway run. I'd sandbag a little bit and hold right beside the driver's door. Somewhere around 80-85 mph, I'd "beep beep" the horn, downshift to second, and walk away from them. I was a horsepower god!

One fine afternoon, I was heading south on I-35 when I noticed a purple car waaaay back there. It looked like a B body but it was too far away. I slowed down a bit to let it catch up. Sure enough, it was a beautiful 1970 Road Runner. The old man driving looked like he was on cloud nine. We kinda checked out each other's cars and gave a "beep beep" salute to the other guy. That's when I put him in his place. I smiled, waved, and hit second gear. The bird picked up and went.
Next thing I knew, that little purple car was screaming like a banshee and walked by me like I was standing still. Being another Mopar and all, it didn't bother me until I saw his bass boat go past my window.

I just shut it down and limped on home with my tail between my legs.

George Holder
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 09:14 PM

A Mopar got outran by a boat......Oh the shame! Feets, you had four flats, right? Running with six spark plugs unplugged? Come on, please give us an excuse!

TA152H1
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 09:47 PM

The old guy was cheating, using the bass boat as downforce to allow him to out-handle and out-accelerate you. You should have went out and rented a portable cement mixer and challenged him to a rematch.

WEEDLAYER
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 09:58 PM

that was worth waitin for, thanks feets, that was a good one.

===================================

karfixer
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 10:06 PM

Feets, you must have missed the little "hemi" badges...right

Beep Beep Dave
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 10:12 PM

That is a great story...lets see someone top it!!!
Dave

dr dodge
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 10:17 PM

great story!
that one needs archived
LOL
dr dodge

65Belved
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 10:32 PM

Back in 69 my buddy had a 68-GTO that ran quite well for a chief.
We were on our way back to Rochester NY from a racetrack called “Niagara”, the track was in Lockport NY. We always traveled the roads that were off the beaten path.
We were moving along at about 70mph when my buddy says “there is a car coming up behind us pretty quick”, my buddy nails the pedal and we are off.
I watch the tac climb and climb and he has the motor just about to the redline, with no more left in it I look over my shoulder to catch a glimpse of what it was.
I see a 68 Chrysler 300 convertible put his turn single on and then passed us like we were doing 40 in a 75 zone. All my buddy could do was watch it disappear.

TK
Moparts Member
posted 09-06-2002 10:36 PM

Classic story. Thanks feets.
I agree that story needs to be archived somewhere on Moparts.

4speeds4me
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 01:47 AM

That was worth the wait, feets.
I guess there is no substitute for cubic inches!

curious
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 09:05 AM

truly have some grande cohones.........prolly stemmed from the fact you drive a twin turbocharged belvedere with 440.
my dad got toasted like that. down the interstate got blew away by a big 60s caddy with a horse trailer behind it he was driving a 427 baldwin motion cramaro

Blusmbl
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 09:19 AM

quote:
---------------------------------------
Being another Mopar and all, it didn't bother me until I saw his bass boat go past my window.
---------------------------------------

That's gotta be Moparts quote of the year!

MPerry
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 09:24 AM

What a perfect sleeper effect!Hooking up a trailer with a bass boat behind a car. ~Mike~

TheTanSedan
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 10:55 PM

Hey, that bass boat and motor were gutted then bolted to a swiss-cheesed trailer . . . right, Feets?
(Guys from Irving, I dunno . . that is bar none the best quote).

Back in 1974, on a fishing trip at Lake O' The Pines, the guys camping next to us had a 455 Oldmsobile jet-drive bass boat.
Had a little problem with center of gravity, even with 60-gallon fuel capacity, so it wans't going to make production they said.

jfsram
Moparts Member
posted 09-07-2002 11:21 PM

6 years ago in my 95 Ram 1500 Sport 5.2L 5 spd w 3.55's. Good for a 15.94@84mph.
Which really means nothing since this one particular day I'm towing an 88 5Th Ave.
In the rear view I noticed a early 90's GMC 1 ton tow truck pulling a Chevy Corsica. He pulled a couple aggressive lane changes to get beside me. I hear him on the throttle big time so I floor my Ram too.
Just a short dig from a roll with no winner and we catch a light.
It's do or die time. 2 chicks in the tow truck are all excited ready for the big race, my passenger is all for the GMC. Some quick calculations (Ram 4600+ 5Th av 4000+ trailer 2000= 10600) GMC at least a 350 with with a 4 something gear ratio probably 5000+ Corsica 3300= My Dodge is dead.
On the green no high rpm launch, just engage the clutch and floor it. We are dead even.
2nd, still even. 3rd, I'm done shifting, it is MOTOR TO MOTOR now and I'm pulling on him huge. I let off a big YEAH to my buddy and cruise, the GMC goes by still at full throttle and gives us a couple honks.
It was a good day for MOPAR!