Quote:

Is the new radiator aluminum? If so i had a simialr experience with a new aluminum radiator 4 yrs ago, it cooled fine when I first put it in. It ran 165F going down thw road at 50+ MPH or higher and 160 F degreesas soon as I let off the throttle and slowed down to 35 MPH or slower. The next spring it ran 190+ all the time I had filled it with distilled water and Water Wetter and then added antifreeze later for the winter storage   I had it reversed flush this past winter and it is now running 165 F again I did buy and install a sacrifisal anode that screws into where the drain plug goes, maybe that will help Let us know what you find

I wonder if the Water Wetter alone didn't give it enough corrosion protection. Especially for the surface area of a fresh new radiator. The aluminum needs some added silicates and nitrates for protection.

When you have a new radiator or new heater core, those protective ingredients can get quickly depleted even out of 50/50 coolant to cover that new area. Then you are not left with much protection to carry you over to the next coolant exchange interval.

I know Justice Brothers recommends it's Super Radiator Cooler (pn 22/P) AND an additional Radiator Protectant bottle (pn 1/P) for water only situations.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/26/11 03:41 AM.