Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Another consideration is the 3000 rpm stall speed of the converter. I know that this car can never be a fuel sipper, but I wonder if I need to target a freeway rpm somewhere near the stall speed to avoid cooking the trans? The 3.23 set spins the motor (Or the other way around) at about 2600 at 65. Maybe the "final drive" with the GV should be near 3.23. With this in mind, the GV has an OD ratio od .78. The 4.10 X .78 is 3.20 while the 3.91 X .78 is 3.05.
What are your thoughts on cruising UNDER the converter stall speed? It seems that the motor might act a little lazy and inefficient.

my understanding is that a GOOD converter, it won't matter. it'll only slip when you're giving it lots of torque. so part throttle cruise down the highway and it won't slip much.

a good high stall converter won't slip significantly more below the stall speed than above. stall speed is the RPM of max torque multiplication. a "tight" high stall converter with tall gears is a good compromise, especially if you have a torquey motor. Pete, who works at XV (I think his moparts handle is GmachinedartGT) has a killer combo running a tight, high stall converter behind a 408 and 2.94's...highway cruising is comfortable, and it'll still crank out low 12's in the 1/4....

I had 3.55's with 27" tall tires and HATED it, buzzing along at ~3300 RPM at 75moh on the freeway got old after about 20 minutes. I put an A500 in and kept the 3.55's. if I didn't have the option of an OD tranny, I wouldn't go more than 3.23's, possibly even 2.94's, depending on tire size.

and Doc Fiberglass, yes I was talking about rear gears, too.

TALLER (higher) gears are NUMERICALLY LOWER RATIOS (2.2:1, 2.76:1, etc)--2.76 turns of the driveshaft = 1 turn of the axle

SHORTER (lower) gears are NUMERICALLY HIGHER RATIOS (3.91:1, 4.10:1, etc) 4.1 turns of the driveshaft = 1 turn of the axle.

you might have come up with your own definitions, but sorry, this is just how the rest of the world defines them. if you don't believe me, just google "tall vs. short gearing" and see what you come up with.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)