BACKGROUND:I have a very basic understanding of A/C but am far, far from an expert. I have a manifold gauge set and a A/C vacuum pump.

We picked up a 2000 Neon for the girlfriend's daughter. The previous owner told us the A/C hadn't worked in about 5 years and seemed to have "some sort of electrical problem". The problem turned out to be a cut wire below the radiator where he'd bottomed out and mangled the wiring harness. Now the A/C compressor clutch will engage if I short out the low pressure switch. I only ran it long enough to see if it would run - less than 5 seconds. No funny noises in that short time period.

Now I'm ready to pull a vacuum and charge it up. I'm planning to replace the dryer, as everything I've read says it's a good idea. Also knowing that the high pressure hose is a trouble spot on Neons, I plan to replace that.

Is there any way to test the compressor? Should I be suspicious of it since it hasn't run in a long time? Are there any other parts besides the dryer and hose I should replace before possibly wasting a couple of cans of Freon?

Thanks in advance,

J