Quote:

Quote:

I tried cleaning the idle bleeds and no help so I pulled the carb and checked the idle slots. They looked OK. I found the secondary shaft pretty loose. Probably enought to cause a vacuum leak. I had checked that with carb cleaner but it didnt show bad. My thought was to compare idle passages in the meteing block to another. Since the shaft was so loose I just put the BG 850 DP back on. It dosent seem to run as rich but still stalls when I drop it in gear... I have a Mallory unilite dist.... I put it in and guess what, the stalling quit? I dont understand. I know the total timing is way high. I will fix that tonight. Thank God for start retard!

Sounds like your just having a timing problem, you don't have enough int. timing, Is that Mallory adj., if so, i'd be setting it up around 16* int., 36* total all in around 24-2600. Once you get the bugs worked out you'll see i'm right about that cam, it will idle with a very mild converter.

Convertor is fine, you need to understand what intial timing is and total timing. It needs more intial and then you have to limit total timing. That will fix it for sure. Basic tuning.