Quote:

I tried cleaning the idle bleeds and no help so I pulled the carb and checked the idle slots. They looked OK. I found the secondary shaft pretty loose. Probably enought to cause a vacuum leak. I had checked that with carb cleaner but it didnt show bad. My thought was to compare idle passages in the meteing block to another. Since the shaft was so loose I just put the BG 850 DP back on. It dosent seem to run as rich but still stalls when I drop it in gear... I have a Mallory unilite dist.... I put it in and guess what, the stalling quit? I dont understand. I know the total timing is way high. I will fix that tonight. Thank God for start retard!

Sounds like your just having a timing problem, you don't have enough int. timing, Is that Mallory adj., if so, i'd be setting it up around 16* int., 36* total all in around 24-2600. Once you get the bugs worked out you'll see i'm right about that cam, it will idle with a very mild converter.

75 Duster, 451 10.87 @ 123.58 NA 97 Z28 6sp., 12.01 @ 115 on a 100 shot 71 Swinger. 360 magnum. 12.58 @ 105 78 cutlass, 469 BBC. 12.70 @ 108 on street tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kqNmMfheU