Quote:

I got a chance to look closer today. The stub that the steering column shaft slides onto... Moves in and out by at least 1/8" as it rotates within the freeplay range. I tightened up the adjustment screw, but the slop remains. Zero leaks though. The mounting bolts are tight. No slop in any of the tie rods or center link. I have at least 6 or 7 spare power steering gearboxes here to swap in, but I am pissed that THIS "rebuilt" box cost me around $300 including shipping. (Only 2 states away) Why would it develop so much slop within only 2000 miles? I can't expect any sort of warranty since I put it in in 2003. Still, if factory units held up for 80-100 thousand miles, why should a rebuilt one from a reputable company wear out so quickly?
I think that Steve made a good point. These units may be getting nothing more than a good cleaning and new seals. What a shame.

I didn't realize you only had 2000 miles on the box. Thats like new. Should be wearing very noticable that soon. Somethings loose or not right.

I'm pretty sure the good rebuilds like Firm Feel get new bearings and bushings too. It's only the gear itself no one makes. I think all other wear items are available. Still, shouldn't be a 2000 mile issue.