Ahhh... the age old question.
When we hear about a "Break in" procedure for a new or rebuilt engine, what is it that we are doing? I have read about how you should avoid full throttle starts for the first 500 miles and all that, but....
I doubt that all the new cars built until the advent of roller cams had a cam and lifter break in session as we all do with the classic motors we rebuild now, yet how often were cam failures back in the day?
I have read that during the first 500 miles, the rings are seating, the cam and lifters are forming patterns to each other and who knows what else. I have also heard of guys that fire up the motor, break in the cam, then haul ass and never look back. Maybe those guys had to pull their motors at 20,000 miles to slap in another set of rings though!
I'm going to install the 440/493 this weekend and I hope to have it running early next week. I'll be driving to LA next month for the Spring Fling, and it will be the longest that car has been from home since long before I bought it in 2000. The 800 mile round trip will surely satisfy the outline of an engine break in period. I was just curious as to how long other members wait until they let the hammer down....