It all really depends on the engine and what you want to do with it. Now for starters, throw out the mindset that advancing the cam increases bottom end and retarding it increases top end. While this tends to be true, it's not always the case(at least it's not that simple). The cam is going to produce the most power at a specific installed point. Case in point. The shop I used to work for had built a 468" pontiac big block. The cam had been installed straight up (110 ICL). When dynoed, this engine produced approximately 525-535 hp at its peak. Due to the shop installing the motor not understanding that the distributor needed to be engaged in the oil pump drive BEFORE cranking down on the distributor hold down, the drive split at the oil pump and the engine lost oil pressure. Long story short, the engine came back out and was sent back to us. This time I assembled the motor and installed the cam at 107 ICL with no other changes. Hp was up in the 560 range now and there was more bottom end power AND more top end power.
My point is, the engine liked the cam being advanced those 3 degrees and while it did increase the bottom end, it also increased the top end and the peak numbers. Obviously the only way to know exactly where it needs to be is to have a dyno and be willing to move the cam around or to be much smarter with numbers than I am and/or rely on God giving you a little insight on what that particular engine wants the cam installed at.
Or to answer your question simply, there's too much advance when the engine starts dropping power ...