Quote:

Aha....that gives me an idea that I am going to try later tonight. I have a bottle jack. The bars aren't cut all the way back to the sub-frame. So, I will be able to put a sleeve (maybe a impact socket) on the end of the torsion bar (its cut fairly square but the sleeve will give more surface area) and then jack against the frame.

I'll see if that works. If not, I'll get some wax and borrow my buddy's acetelyne torch and try to use the torch/wax combo.

Well...when it rains it pours.

I jacked the torsion bar against the K-member and sure enough it start moving. By "it" I don't mean the torsion bar - except in the context that the hex hole started moving out the back of the subframe and I got a little bubble in the subframe in the area around the hex hole. Basically, the torsion bar stayed firmly ensconsed in its hole and now I have some reinforcing to do.

So, I knew that this area had some rust. I didn't realize it was this bad (although I probably should've given that I replaced the other side already). So, looks like I am going to have to cut that section of the subframe and weld a new one in. Just wonderful given that I have no wheels on the car, no welder, and no means to get it fixed.

Why can't I catch a break?

1966 Barracuda 1968 Barracuda convertible 1930 Ford Model A (soon to be hemi equipped) 2006 Dodge 3500 4X4 CTD Quad Cab