Quote:

Matt,
There are a few reasons to not bother going beyond 4". The return on investment for the expense of custom parts and shortening service life just don't make sense to me. I decided to ask a few questions of guys I consider knowledgable and the biggest seems to be the pistons with indeterminate service life as a close second. Noise will also be a factor using a piston that short in a street car. That can be addressed with offsetting the pin but you'll need to work with the piston manufacturer to get something that addresses the issues as best as could be.
IMO - Build a 4" arm, forged crank setup, with reasonable heads, and worry about "bigger" and "more" when you've already maxxed what the 4" engine can do for you. If bigger wasn't better we'd all have 318s with 360 pie tins. But there comes a time when return on investment ends up making bigger less better.

Moper, im concered with the service life you are talking about.. why is it so? Also, the piston noise you are referring to- is it more when its cold upon startup, or is it constant? I can live with noise, as long as its not damaging anything

Another question I have for you guys is, with a stock block and .030" overbore, do I have anything to worry about in terms of wall thickness or block strength? I know HP/TQ is the killer, just wondering if this different rod/stroke/piston combo is detrimental as well

Ive spoken with Rod twice now and I must say i really do trust that this stuff will work good. Since he will be offerring custom pistons, im just trying to figure out if i will be okay with 7/16 cap screw I beams or if I should step up to the H beam stuff

Last edited by mshred; 01/20/11 07:55 PM.