Here is what I found after doing some checks. First I did disconnect throttle cable, when I set motor at about 780 rpm ( to low ) and hit the throttle it will come back to about that (bounces around about 20 revs either way. Then if I set rpm to 850 where I want it then hit throttle she will not come back to that stays about 1150 - 1250 rpm then I have to loosen idle screw to get it back down or when I unplug the vac line @ the distributor and plug with my finger then the car idles down. so in short with the vacum line plugged I can set idle @ 850 then rev it and it will return but still searches around give or take 20 rpm or so. some notes on what i am working with=
craftsman top of the line digital timing lite with the tach option.

at 800 rpm I have timing at about 10.5 car seems to start easy and run strong here. checking the vacum I am plugging in at rear of intake where brake boost hose goes.

at 800 rpm I have between 7-8 on the vacum,( bounces between the two ) do not know if this is sufficient or if the bouncing is normal ?
also noticed when i advance throttle slowly vacum will dip low to about 2 or so then takes off, went to 2200rpm and vacum went to 21 + also not shure if this is normal. any thoughts/ advice would be much appriciated,

Hope you guys all have a happy new year