Quote:

I'm in the middle of the my first paint job. I am going to finish with Chromabase. Started by taking car down to bare metal then used nason etch primer followed by a couple coats of nason 2k high build primer. Found some spots that need a little filler work, then will shoot 2 or 3 more coats of high build. I plan on blocking everything down with 400 (dry).

Now the???

1. Should I sand any further...thinking of 600 (wet) or?

2. Should I use some type of sealer before chromabase, I'm using nason 421-17 (buff) high build and chromabase will be "Go Mango" orange.

3. How much paint and clear do I need to order? The car is a 1970 Dodge Challenger.

No paint expert but here is my experience..

1. I sanded to 400, I don't think you need to go as far as 600.

2. Before applying paint I laid down 2 thinned coats of epoxy primer as my sealer. Not sure but you may be able to order white epoxy and have it tinted? Your paint supplier can show you a generic chip and how much of a difference primer color can affect paint color. I don't think I would want to paint mango orange over gray or black..

3.Better to have to much than not enough. I know from experience. If you are painting the entire car, including engine bay, trunk, etc. 2 gallons of paint and 2 gallons of clear should do you good with some leftover for any small fixes you may need later.. Even if you do not use it all, once you start buying quarts after the fact, you may have color match problems and the costs savings is insignificant. laid the paint/clear myself (2nd car I have done), and the color I chose (which is a deeeep red/black) needed to have 4 coats of color applied to get really solid coverage, then laid down 4 coats of clear. I still neeed to wet sand and buff, but you can spray todays clears and have very minimal 'orange peel'.

Good luck!

4528969-IMG_0967.jpg (33 downloads)

'65 Plymouth Belvedere
'05 Dodge Ram Daytona