Quote:

BOB COOMER wins the why are my clearances messed up contest!!!!!!!!!
I checked the main bores today, and found they were .0025" fatter at the parting line. I only check#1... cause why bother continuing?
It didnt occur to me to to start there, cause I had the block line bored for the caps before...or so I thought. remember what I posted about no good shops around here...

just a little information for you. if the bores at the parting line are .0025 big as you describe, you only have three choices.
1, either bore the blocks mating surface to close that gap, (which would take a lot of work) cut the caps and align bore it again,
2, cut the caps and bore/ hone for proper vertical sizing and don't worry about the out of round.
3, toss that block and start with a better one.

align boring a block does not make the parting line wide, or bigger. align honing almost always will. boring a block doesn't always look as pretty because it'll leave a shadow where it doesn't cut. a hone will hit the wide area and make them even wider.
from what i've seen, most factory blocks are already wide at the parting line from the factory, but typically only .0002-.0005, not .0025
take it to Todd and let him decide the best course of action.

Last edited by Performance Only; 10/01/10 08:47 PM.

machine shop owner and engine builder