Quote:

Back in the day they used to run looser piston clearance in high performance motors. Also a piston is smaller at the top than the skirt area because the top gets hotter and expands more. I have seen quite a few motors where you could see the top ring a little much.

I would definately NOT run it with that burned piston in there. What bore size is it? I know where a few are sitting around . Since it is not really a quench engine any how you could run a thick gasket to reduce compression a little and get the needed valve clearance.

HotRodDave, they are a .030 pistons I'm quessing by the part # 030 L-2322, have one laying around? even if I found one, what would it run to have them notched so compression would be the same on all. I'm gonna pull the other head tonight to check the other side.

Also looks like tons of work went into those heads, even the pushrod holes look bigger then the other set of J heads I have. And the valves and springs do look taller to the naked eye. I tryed to get a balpark lift with a dial indicator and spinning the motor but by the time I get the dial gauge set up the lifters bleed down, definatelly hydraulic.

The strange thing is this motor was in a 64 Barracuda running exhaust manifolds. The owner bought the car with this motor and pulled in favor of a 383, and had never opened up the motor so he didnt know what was in it.

Butch

1972 Duster 318 4 speed 1958 392 Hemi engine waiting to be built!!!!!