Ok, first is there a way to tell if the retainers are aluminum or titanium, looks like this motors seen a good amount of use and there still looking good. And your right on the blocks, the rocker shaft mount was milled down, the bolt goes throught the rocker shaft and block and into the head where it normally bolts up, but with larger bolts. Ans your also right on the valley pan , I took the intake off and it is held on with 2 spring straps, so your probably right there too.

Well I got the intake off and pulled one head, they are indeed J heads, with what looks like stainless 2.02 intake and exhaust valves. Looks like they did some heavy port matching as the intake port on all of them hit the valve cover bolt area in between intake ports.

Also after pulling the heads I found TRW .030 over L-2322 forged dome pistons. The cylinder walls look great, there isnt even a ridge on top once I wipe away the carbon, and I can still see cross hatch. Strange thing is, that there is no notable bore scorring or were, but the pistons are really loose in the bore, but I was able to see one top ring gap and by eye it looks good. Now heres the other thing, the pistons look like the valve reliefs were cut deeper, and thy must have cut too deep on one, cause a couple chunks are missing. But with the piston with the missing peice, the walls look great and there no chunk in the bore, and it looks like it has been runn for a long time like this?

So heres a few more pictures, what do you think, can that one piston be run like that, well it was running so I quess I answered my own question. But why would pistons be run so loose?

Butch

1972 Duster 318 4 speed 1958 392 Hemi engine waiting to be built!!!!!