Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this wasn't a guess. the american cars catalog shows the shipping weights.
the 71 station wagon IS the lightest.

That has to be a mistake, maybe 3820. There's no way a 71 wagon is going to be lighter than the 65-68 cars.

I don't know about the rubber floor mats actually being a weight savings - that stuff weights a ton. I think that is one of those old myths.
-dulcich

Steve.

When i worked at the hotrod supply, we did a ton ov Mopar resto parts, and i weighed EVERYTHING. I used to get in [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] for it.

I found the rubber flooring was definitely lighter than the carpet WITH THE UNDERLAY (so as installed). But take out that fuzz/asbestos/whatever it is attached to the underside ov the carpet and its lighter than the rubber. So yeah, the rubber flooring was a weight savings. Forget how much it came out to... at least 5-15lbs difference on an E-body. Thats a neat stock look/sleeper trick... scrape the fluffy off the bottom ov the carpet and re-install it. Fits a bit loose, but done right few will notice. Did that in my 71 Fury and no one ever noticed.

And there is just no way a 71 C-wagon is the lightest. Those shipping weights are voodoo at best (nor would it be the first official shipping weights typo...). I'd also bet on the early Fury I posts being lightest. I wanted a 69 Fury I post for that exact reason, i like the fuselage cars, but i'm sure the mid-60's version saved 100lbs or more.

And not sure if it was possible, but if you could find a Fury I that didn't come with the factory undercoat you'd be WAY ahead. Thats a killer on a C-body...