Quote:

exactly, Why? Did You want to pull the valve body?
Your shifting problem, seems like it would be the external linkage to me.
That parking rod, stays in that hole, even when the transmission is in the other gears. At least if I remember correctly....
Not too much goes wrong with the valve body shift detents. They only work when they are installed correctly, and didnt You drive the car to where You are now? So what happened between then and now? I would have someone moving the shifter, while looking for problems underneath, with binding and such. After You get it all back together.

A12:
Quote:

I went to take my little boy to a local cruise last night and the 727 would only go into reverse and felt like the linkage was binding up but when I detached the shift linkage from the trans I found it was the trans that was the problem.

I did remove the external linkage first and then tried to move the short lever on the trans (even used a small adjustable wrench which I know it doesn't take that much force and should move by hand) and it would only move one notch internally.........there's a whole lot more to this saga and maybe I over reacted a little but I'll tell you all about it a little bit...

MikeR