Quote:

The local Monro was kind enough to tell me I needed upper ball joints on the 98 when I had my yearly NYS inspection done. I already knew the pass. side was bad due to a cut boot and was making plans to change them. They wanted upwards of $400 for the job

I got a set of ball joints off ebay and got the free tool rental 4wd ball joint press deal from autozone and changed all 4 in the driveway.

Then I took out the 4h/n/4lo 249 transfer case (quadratrac) and replaced it with a 2/4pt/4h/n/4lo 242 (selectrac). The transfer case shows up after long runs when the viscous coupler gets heated up and locks the transfer case in 4 wheel instead of letting the front free wheel. A common thing is to experience binding getting off the highway.

Meanwhile, SHE took her Exploder to the Ferd dealer and they replaced 1 ball joint for $500.

the upper balljoints on these are greaseable; I certainly would not replace a ball joint that is still "tight" and ONLY had a torn boot; just hit it w/ the grease gun at every oil change. grease is cheap and the new will flush out the old crap and dirt.