Quote:

I can't think of any other production engine with a geometry more perfect

What geometry is that?
The 1.62 rod ratio is pretty common.

I used the word geometry in a pretty broad sense there. The 1.62 rod ratio is absolutely perfect for a HAPPY nitro combination (piston speed..or more accurately piston acceleration and decelleration rates... vs flame travel @ (give or take) 6000 RPM. But, the small bore is key here too. The amount of ignition lead a fuel engine requires is dictated by a few factors, but most importantly bore diameter. A 3.4 inch bore will produce the same yield with just 30 degrees of lead as a 4.25 inch bore at around 65. This leaves that much more of the charge available to do work ATDC, with less likelihood of detonation.
The restrictive nature of the slant cylinder head can also work in favor of a happy fueler. Getting air into the chamber is not nearly as important in a nitro engine as it is with any other fuel. Nitro carries its own oxygen supply. Air needs to be coaxed in and out, where as raw, liquid fuel piled up behind the valve is going in no matter what. Same for the exhaust side. The valve opens, the pressure is going to be relieved, but a good amount of the unburned fuel will remain unavenged, and thus be ready to burn on the next cycle.
All of this is only valid when talking about a high percentage (90% and up) combination that is going to want things cold, wet and sloppy. Lower percentages (higher alcohol content) are going to see the same limitations as this particular engine has on gasoline or alcohol alone. The lower the percentage, the more the engine is reliant on atmosphere for efficient combustion.

BTW...noticed your name there...I'm a Poly freak myself.