Quote:

Quote:

What type of rear axle did the AWD Caravans have in them? That does sound like an interesting concept. I would love to build a mid-engine rig, but I'm concerned with having enough room for a good pinion angle. If I set the engine/trans in back of the front seats, that doesn't leave much room for a driveshaft, if any. A 3 inch driveshaft doesn't make for very good angles or allow for rearend movement.

Just thinking out loud here, but one way to deal with that is to run an IRS and have the center section solid to the unibody. It would not be a wheelie machine or a dragstrip terror, but you could make it handle.

My suspicion would be that whatever rearend an AWD Caravan would have would be too weak. I'd stay with my recommendation of a Ford Explorer 8.8 - cheap, Locker can be prelim-identified on the door tag, and has disk brakes.

Midship mount does not leave much room for a driveshaft. I wondered if a motorhome 727 would help, but it's probably not much different than a 904.

My 'new idea' would be to install an 8.8 IRS from a Lincoln Mark 8. Solid mount it into a subframe as Rod St Race and Mark Mullins have mentioned.