Quote:

Quote:

Simply bypassing the amp meter by moving one wire to the other post is so easy, I can't understand why some people are against it. Costs nothing but a sore back twisting under the dash.

You can go hardcore and bypass the bulkhead, but just doing the above is fairly effective.

False!

the first point to burn is the bulkhead. Then the ammeter

ammeter comes bad and burn wires JUST if you get loosen the ammeter terminals, but being these propperly tight, the fist spot will be ALLWAYS the bulkhead terminals and BEGINING by the black wire coming from alt.

the other mistake made what begins the burn everywehere INCLUDING AMMETER ( and that will be true on this case ) is making a batt upgrade with a higher reserve unit but still the low amperage alternator, that will take FOREVER to get back charged the batt, making high peaks going to teh system when increasing RPMs... more to read about here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62772.0.html

( one of the links there is the one already exposed )

You can make the conversion to shunt system using lates ammeter internals on your old case and face to make to work EVEN SAFER... is also exposed on one of the links there.

I trust more on an ammeter than on a voltimeter when reading charge status. Amperes is what holds the electrical load, not volts even is true they are certainly somehow and relativelly proportional. Although a voltimeter works too, it can be a cheater. Both together, even better.

once I got 18 volts reading but discharge ( shorted alt ) you would think, ok something is wrong but still being charged... and is false.

Super false!!

I have done away with the gauge and had no problems running bigger alts on these cars. Add a shunt and you are good. Nothing wrong with doing the extra work on the bulkhead though. Just have not found the need to do this on mine. Plenty of other things to work on.