Here's a more extreme perspective.

I've had 255/50/16's on 16x8 rims on the front ov my 72 Rally Challenger no issues. The backspace was a bit extreme for my tastes, 5 1/2" but i had a 1/4" spacer in there for a total 5 1/4" backspace. No issues, but looked a bit off. Still better than a narrower tire that fit better in my opinion though.

Right now i've got 275/50/15 BFG's on a 15x7 steelie on the front ov my 70 Challenger. So far its passed the sit in and crank the wheel test, and i even took it around the block very slowly (solid rear susp at the time and no insurance...) and the fronts seemed fine. But driving at speed might be a different story.

Mitch Lelito's T/A had 255/60/16's on 10" rims up front, with (if i remember correctly) 5" backspace. That car was lowered and raced, but i'm not sure if his fenders were modded or not.

My 70 will have 275/40/17 or wider and i'll make them fit without ruining my virgin fenders.

Actually, right now i've got 295/50/15 BFG's on the front ov that car, sitting. That with 15x8 steelies and they pass the sit and crank the wheel test too, though i'm not optimistic about the drive test. They REALLY fill the wells, and are especially close to the lip ov the front ov the fender. Maybe theres a way to make those work too... Hmmmmm... . . .