Quote:

Quote:

Just know there could be possible drawbacks to using Ford Type F in your Chrysler transmission.

Frank Adkins explains in his book, Chrysler Performance Upgrades, that although Type F will cause a Chrysler 727 to shift better, the life span of of the front clutch pack can be dramatically reduced.

Then again in Carl Munroe's book, Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook, "the type of transmission fluid used seems to have a definite effect on clutch life".

Sounds like if you have an all out race car and are not concerned about frequent transmission rebuilds, Type F is the way to go. Otherwise, a good Dexron fluid for a street/strip/show car would be a better choice.

Hey C S ....

Please define FREQUENT REBUILDS ?

In my 62 .... is a trans that I built back in the middle 70's ... it has had maybe 5 diff motors in front of it and maybe has 40k miles on it. The SAME type F fluid in it since day one.

Manual VB, trick drum, cut-down hemi band .... NO trash in the pan EVER.

Do you BELIEVE everything that you read ?

Doc, I'm sure glad you're around. Civilized debate is always oh so splendid. Great to see you.

The OP wants to know about automatic transmission fluid options. I informed him of the ideas and opinions of a couple authors, Frank Adkins and Carl H. Munroe, two individuals who are accomplished mechanics and who have been involved in the automotive hobby for decades. Between their statements, it becomes at least somewhat apparent that it's important to select the right ATF for the right application. Don't you think the OP should at least know the possible pros and cons to using any given type of ATF so that he can make an informed discussion of his own?

You provided him information that his transmission may be reliable up to 40,000-miles with Type F and that you feel, “Type F .... holds up BESTER to heat”.

That’s great, maybe he has some directions he can go in now?

I submit to you that since we are not living in the 60s anymore and have had some technological advancements in lubrication technology since then, there very well could be better options than Type F.

Since we know that high performance automatic transmissions can generate lots of heat very quickly and that conventional petroleum products break down and are not very shear stable in high heat extremes, a modern Dexron/Mercon Synthetic ATF may be an attractive option.

And perhaps that by properly building and programming the transmissions shift points, it won’t be necessary to mix and mismatch ATF types to achieve the desired shift performance?