We race these motors in our sprint cars.
1) The A-8 is the newest version. The bottom end looks like a standard Mopar SB. The older blocks had a Hemi style cross bolt bottom end.
2) They have no haraminic balancer. You can't use the sprint car front cover with a balancer.
3) The sprint car front cover only has provisions for a dry sump pump and KSE water pump.
3)The sprint car cranks has a "generic" (Cheby)crank flange. Some have 6 bolts and super lite cranks have 4 bolts. Our aluminum u-joint only use 4 bolts.
4)Mopar Dirt late models mount the dry sump pump and starter on the bellhousing. They use a front cover that looks more like a stock one.
5)These aluminum block are NOT heavy duty. They just have enough meat in them to last a few races. They have have a short life in a sprint car. They develope cracks. Beware buying a used block.
6)A sprint car must pass the scales at 1375 Lbs or DQ. Put one in a 3800 Lb car with a clutch or high stall converter and it'll rip the the block in two at the starting line. I've allready broke off the front mounting ears in a crash.
5)I've throught of converting one of my old motors to a Carb and putting it in a 1600Lb street rod. One of these days I'll bolt up a 727 and see how the starter goes.
Don