Quote:

I'm watching this thread. I have a similar problem (but worse) I bought a Cherokee 2 months ago. Just prior, it had a major detailing done to it. (the 20-something girl I bought it from said that her Dad had just spent $300 on having that done) I can't see a "detail" costing that but... whatever. It definitely smelled strongly like a detail shop and was full of swirl marks and heavy wax, in the door and hood gaps;

I didn't think anything of it; alot of people have their cars cleaned so they "show" better to sell them, right?

until 2 weeks ago; the 1st time my wife let our son drive it to school (HS jr) the cops and dogs were doing one of their once a month searches.

The kid got called down, and my wife got a call asking if anyone in the house smoked (NO) anyone in the house hunts (another no) etc., because I guess the dog they use, can tell 6-7 different contraban things, but it's not like you can "ask" the dog which substance it detects. I mean, the Jeep still faintly smells like detailing supplies; but I can't help but wonder what the PO did with this Jeep, and how long whatever the dog detected will still set off alarms. I'm NOT looking forward to an interior swap!I bought it with the intent of "running the wheels off of it" but if this will be a problem, it may well find itself back for sale again-and soon.

On another note, my Mom's Interpid; she finally quit smoking after (by her account) 55 years worth. I am not happy it took nearly dying and surgery to remove part of a lung to make her quit! but I had that Intrepid cleaned twice, a year ago, and it's almost gone, but I can still tell a faint smell of her old Camel non filters.
It was terrible; film on inside of windows, and I could not even ride in that car, it stunk from cigarette smoke so bad!

I bought a 68 Chevelle one time from a tote-the-note dealer. Had some trouble with the gauges so I looked up under the dash to see if anything was unhooked. What I found was a bag of weed stashed in the wiring.
Glad I found it and not a drug dog or cop. Gee officer I didn't even know it was there. Somehow I don't think that excuse would fly.