I picked up a tumber and green triangle media from Harbor Freight, then some Rust Away, and then a phosphate kit from Eastwood. I have about a 100 bucks into this so I do know after paying 36 bucks today for some nuts and bolts that this is worth doing when theres spare time. The bolt reference manual is something extra but well worth having if you have a lot of hardware to identify. Also you can go to amk.com for bolt and nut pics of unidentified nuts and Bolts.

Pour a few inches of the rust away into tumber.
Pour entire contents of green triangle media into tumber. HF stocks therese.
Add bolts and hardware. 1-2 1/2 lbs. max hardware weight.
Tighten lid and shake, rattle for about 3-4 hours.

Take out bolts nuts, hardware and wash off.
Inspect. Ones with rust go back and do a little more.
Wash with fresh water.
Put on cookie sheet and dry at 180 for 15 minutes.
Take selected clean bolts and harware and put into green solution first.
If all at once, leave them in longer. Watch them turn black.
When they're really black, pull em out using tongs. Never use bare hands into chemicals.
Lay onto paper towels for about a half hour. Lightly wipe off dirty or uneven areas off with a small edge of paper towel. Lightly wipe off excess fluid on edges.

Now its time to seal them using the gold colored phosphate sealer.
Leave them in for 10-15 minutes if doing a batch all at once.
Take out with tongs and lay on paper towels.
Roll up parts in the paper towel covered and lay in a well ventilated area..outside if possible.
This lets the sealer grab on and dry onto them. I wait 24-48 hours before I feel they are really sealed.
Results...Looks just like you bought 50 bucks worth of new hardware.

I don't recommend sand blasting original OEM bolts and hardware. You may remove the markings that help identify where they belong on the vehicle. Remember to always use rubber gloves, goggles and tongs when dealing with these chemicals. It is re usable so pour it back into the original container if you took any out.

http://www.eastwood.com/metal-blackening-kit-with-diamond-clear.html

Last edited by Topcat; 01/31/10 12:55 AM.