Quote:

there is one here in Romulus (metro Detroit) right near the airport but the price to dip & e-coat just a shell was $2,700 they wanted $700 just for strip. kinda hard to believe that the 2 or so gallons of e-coat that would be used would be worth $2000. I would gladly pay the $700 for the strip but can't afford the rest. I haven't asked if they would do just the bottom 20" or so like the factory did

That is dirt cheap when you really look into it. International paint stripping (in Romulus) Uses heat along with various chemicals to strip (not really what you want for sheetmetal) The best way is an alkaline strip (which there is a place in Toledo "american metal cleaning") the alkaline strip is much nicer but costs about 3-4 times what romulus charges (i think a shell is in the area of 3k just to strip) then there are only a few places that have a tank big enough to dip a shell. Ive had every bolt on part for my 65 as well as my challenger stripped and dipped and really its the best money spent. I would google redi-strip and see if there is one in your area. as far as e-coaters see if there is a meta-kote in your area that "will" do piece work and can accept a shell.