Quote:

Quote:

The little weight savings vs chance of a failed rotor does not make sense to me. And some pads do not like slots.

a) rotors are not drilled or slotted to save weight - they are drilled for cooling, they are slotted to get rid of moisture and dirt

b) pads don't know the difference whether there are slots, holes or nothing at all - as long as the rotor has been turned after the drilling or slotting process. When properly done, the holes and/or slots should both be chamfered.

c) runout would be a b*tch to check on a slotted rotor but you'd usually notice a pulsing if they weren't true as opposed to a noise.

I'd take them off and check pad wear and maybe get them turned to make sure they're true. Then chamfer all the holes and slots if they aren't already done. I'd also check the hub mounting face and make sure there's nothing like rust buildup or anything that would affect the rotor runout.

A. There are people who would disagree with you on why rotors are drilled. The MAIN reason seems to be it looks cool. Drilling rotors lowers their weight, that is not in dispute, which also lowers the amount of heat that can be absorbed because of less mass. We can also assume that anything solid with a hole in it, when suddenly heated drastically, has higher stress concentrations then someting without a hole in it, and therefore more prone to heat cracking.

B. by normal design a slot is almost always chamfered, a hole maybe, and some pad manufactureres care very much whether the rotors are holed or slotted

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.