We have had a lot of posts lately about stroker kits and lots of info and opinions were offered but also a lot of politics and some conflicts of interest. A lot of guys would love to learn more about what it takes to build an engine for there car but get overloaded and have a hard time sifting through all the BS to find good info. Lets have the novice engine builders offer up some of there personal experiences good or bad to help others out who want to try and build their own engines. No politics no second hand opinions just honest experience.

I'll start.
I have a 493" rb based engine and have been running it since 05. I have an Indy 440-1 head/topend kit. 1050 dom. carb. and run around 12-1 comp.

Heads: I was shocked at the OTB condition of the heads you could actually see a ridge exactly where the CNC machine stopped! I was prepared for this by reading posts here on Moparts so I had a friend clean them up and ck the valve job. Next shocker was after installation and engine breakin I found out my push rods were hitting the heads. Even though this was a package deal I still should have checked final fitment better fortunately I avoided any real damage.

Bottom end: My kit came unballance from 440source I took it to my machinist to have ballanced and checked out everything was ok and I installed the bottom end using narrow bearings and I used a stud girdle from Hughes. A lot of people don't beleave in girdles but I know I have less cap walk with this engine than with the previous 440.

Etc. The oil pickup was originally internal but I later switched to external and feel better about it but never had any real reason for the change. I found out after my favorite machinist retired that sometimes Mopar cam bearings are too tight and you either line bore the block or fit you cam bearings. I think a good machinist who knows Mopars is rare and probably worth a couple extra bucks.

Overall: Once all the bugs were worked out I have been very happy with my engine 9.96 so far in a heavy car.
I know there is a lot more guys out there with good info to share so lets have it!

Please!! personal stories/info only not politics no BS lets help some brothers out!!