The second ring is not a compression ring by design. It's just an oil scaper. The issue is the top ring, the only compression ring, seals on the bore AND the piston ring land. It seals on the up and down stroke. So there can be gasses between the top and second rings. These gasses can push the ring up off the ring land and the result is not ring flutter but simple loss in seal efficiency on the compression stroke. That's why the gap is larger. Add extra oil to the walls and I think the problem gets worse. I generally add .006 to the 2nd ring gap for a small block, and .008 for a big block. Again, this ring isnt designed to seal gasses but it can trap gasses when doing it's real job. So a larger gap has no effect on compression loss. Just a loss of sealing efficiency to the top ring.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.