Quote:

Mike, I am a bow tie guy. I am struggling to undestand the difference between the 1.996 amd the 2.057 Compression height as it pertains to Mopars. The math I did tels me that a 1.996 piston would leave the pistom too far in the hole. (?)

THX
Milan

First, have you measured the distance from the gasket surface of each chamber of both heads to the flat part of the open chambers? You'll find that they rarely are the same so getting acurate quench is problematic, you wind up either grinding the chambers to equalized them (like Ron did) or milling each piston dome specificly for the chambers...With quench dome pistons you typically cut either the dome or the head to set quench anyway.. The deal on a short C/H is by lowering the flat area of the piston but raising the quench dome your able to get a reasonable compression ratio...If you keep the standard C/H & push the quench dome to within .040 of touching the compression ratio would be >11-1...

FWIW the machining needed to make quench work + rebuilding your heads will be close to equal the cost of Stealth heads which is why people continue to push you that way...Then there is the perfomance advantage of a better flowing head....

The bad thing is the short block needs to be built with the head choice in mind, if you build it expecting to put a closed chamber head on it later & shoot for zero deck than it will detonate with the open chamber head......

Good Luck with it...