Ooopps! I guess that answers the question of how long that old engine will last. There is no telling how many hundreds of passes were on those rotating parts. Bobby had 5 hard years on them before Doug bought the car. I would take a very conservative guess and say Bobby had well over 500 passes on it before Doug took over.

I am pretty sure i put about 50-75 runs after i bought the car from Bobby,,before i went thru the motor,,and about another 300 plus passes after the motor was redone in 2006 until now ,and got the car to run 10.26 @ 130MPH with a 1.40-1.41 60',,,

The rods were Eagle. Stock 440 steel crank. Stock 440 block with ARP main studs. No main girdle unless Doug added one a couple of years ago when he freshened the engine. Also, no concrete or filler when we originally built the engine.

I had the motor re-done in 12/2006,,ie clean block, magnaflux, hone, new cam bearings, freeze plugs, line hone, rings, bearings, oil pump, gaskets, crank polish, new cam, lifters, and had the E heads ported, and bumped the compression up to 13:1 The pistons, block and rods were re-used

I don't mean to jinx it, but I'd bet that there is some major destruction when it is all said and done. I'm really surprised that it didn't window the block. I'm really curious to see how the main webs held up as well. I was lucky,,,NO leaks,,nothing,,,i thought i broke the rear end,,,not the motor,,

Hey Doug! If you would be willing to get rid of any scrap pieces that you don't want or can't use, I'll take them off your hands. I like showing my Auto Tech students what happens when things come apart. I'll let ya know,,,,you might have to make a road trip to Louisville, overall it's been a really good motor for what it is/was,,440 .030, foot brake,,etc

Last edited by 69CHARGERMD; 11/02/09 07:34 PM.