Quote:

1 Cons are the internal regulator is sensing the output voltage at the alternator terminal, not the battery. With a one wire you just want a good low resistance connection to the battery.
3-wire (external regulator) as installed on our old muscle cars really is not any better.
2 The external regulator senses the voltage of the engine compartment wiring harness which can have a good amount of resistance to the battery.
3 Most of the newer cars and trucks use the 3-wire setup because the computer can directly monitor battery voltage and both air temperature and battery temperature and set the best alternator output voltage to maximize battery life.

1 are you really sure about that statement, and if so, please explain how the way the regulator is wired to make it different in that way.

2 i agree

3 pleas explain how a 3 wire regulator helps the computer to measure battery temperature and air temperature on a newer vehicle. i don't doubt the computer can do those things, but i doubt it's because of the 3 wires on the regulator. regardless of the type of regulator used, it will measure battery voltage, provided a properly sized cable is used on nthe 1 wire type from the battery to the alternator. besides that, the 1 wire does take the possibilty of extra resistance in the wiring harness out of the equation compared to the 3 wire setup. please explain how i'm wrong on that. i'm always willing to learn something new if you have some factual data to share.