Power steering pump. I purchased all my power steering parts from Street & Performance. According to Street & Performance, Our power steering system runs on 950psi. the OE 6.1 pump runs @ 1350 psi and according to S&P our boxes will not handle that. So I decided to purchase their p/s pump which is a GM pump rated @ 950 psi. I also purchased their pre-made to order power steering hoses and remote aluminum reservoir.
Several problems arised from this swap. The S&P hoses are fitted with AN-6 fittings to the gearbox for inlet and outlet.
I installed a fresh Firm Feel Stage 2 box. Firm Feel did not know what the thread size and fittings I can use on the gear box. So I took the original fittings to a hydraulic supply store and the best they could do was match it up to some metric sized an-6 fittings.
I sized my fittings as follows:
Pressure fitting on box: ˝” -20 inverted flare
Return fitting: 5/8”- 18 inverted flare
So I took the metric fitting and re-tapped them to the correct sizes. The return fitting also required a 7/16” hole to drilled so the spring can sit in the well.
As for the pulley, amazingly the original 6.1L hemi p/s pulley can be used on the GM pump.
Another note, Pete (autodynamics) brought to my attention his dilemma with his hydroboost brakes. If you are running hydroboost and power steering, you will need the 1350psi pump due to the hydroboost’s demand.
Engine oil dipstick and tube for the new Hemi can be purchased through S&P. It is a Lokar piece which is nice and pretty. Been told an OE 5.7 Hemi dipstick can be used, not 100% sure tho.

3930564-PSboxfittings.jpg (2391 downloads)