Quote:

If you truly want to get a custom made leaf designed for performance and aren't worried about cost; there is a guy on the Pro-Touring board who knows more about leaf springs than anyone I have ever read. He is a formally trained engineer and trained under Dick Guldstrand for many years back in the hey day of trans am racing. First you have to register on http://www.pro-touring.com/ to gain access to the members list. Then look up member chicane67 and send him a PM. He does build custom leafs springs but does not advertise. Expect to spend between $500 to $1000 per spring, but these will be the best set of leaf springs you will ever see. The choices and options of main leafs and secondary leafs will amaze you.

Our high school auto shop teacher had a hobby stock chevelle circle track car. Somehow we managed to get Guldstrand Engineering to sponsor us a poly insert bushings front and rear and a front end kit. The old Guldstrand shop in Culver City was about 5 miles from our High School. That was before the Energy Suspension kits and you had to use the old shells like we still have to do for Mopar poly LCA bushings. Fitting those inserts were a total PITA btw. Lots of work.

I asked the guy that ran the part dept about rear leaf springs. He said that had a local place that would make them up and I should shoot for like 180 lbs if I had front spring with wheel rate like a camaro with 750 lbs coils. The key was a strong second leaf that came right up to the front spring eye to make the front segment solid. I think all Mopars are like that anyway but he was a GM guy.

Real nice helpful guy to a 19 year old at the time. I think his name was Buzz or something. Maybe I still have a card.

I've got the Guldstrand catalog from date 1990 that he gave me in my hand right now. They don't publish any rates or specs.