Quote:

You are correct. Pinion angle is the relationship between the pinion centerline and the crank/transmission centerline.

Make the pinion parallel to the transmission as a base-line, then pivot the pinion downward 2-3 degrees. In other words, the resulting pinion angle will be 2-3 degrees under parallel (nose down) to the transmission centerline when the car is at rest.............

I gotta say that I respectfully disagree with doing it that way........at least with a leaf spring car anyway.........

On my cars, and anything with decent power, especially with a stick, I'd always set the pinion down 7* with relationship to the driveshaft and it's ALWAYS worked great.......but, after reading here on Moparts how I need to set it to the crank centerline by Tony (Quicktree) so many times, I decided to do it that way on my just finished 68 GTS...........but first I've got to warn you that I did put 1" spacers between the K-frame and the body to lower the engine in the car which points the tail housing up a few degrees............

I set the pinion angle 7* down from the crankshaft center line and the car was fine until I let off the gas and it howled SO BAD I thought the rearend was was going to come apart.......... so, thanks to all the pinion angle threads on Moparts, I had to pull the rearend back out, cut the perches off, and reweld them back on.........this time with the angle 7* down from the driveshaft and it works GREAT now.........

So, I will NEVER set pinion angle that way again.........that's my on this.........