Quote:

Quote:

With a posi unit in a street car I probably wouldn't install the "green" axle (ball) bearings. The Timken tapered axle bearings are a lot tougher than the "green" axle bearings are, especailly on a street car I

Dang it, Cab. Why did you have to throw that wrench into the works now.

FWIW I have used green bearings for years, first in my Charger with 10" rims with a large offset and now in my Road Runner. Yes, they are not as robust as the tapered bearings, but you should get a few years out of them.

I pulled the carrier from my old 73 D200 truck without removing the housing, albeit there is more room under the truck. Get the rear of the car up as high as practical, let the rear hang. try to get two pry bars at 12 and 6 O'clock with as much offset between the two as you can. Once you get it started you can then get the pry bars into the carrier sides (where the axles go) and pry it out the rest of the way.

The nice thing is that the back lash wont change as the shims are captured behind the side bearings so all you have to do is hammer it back in with a plastic hammer (don't forget to catch the bearing cups when they fall out).