Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do your math and you will see that you gained .010 didn't loose it. Using a shim will actually make things worse.
You milled .030 and used a .040 gasket. Therefore you increased the distance not decreased. By milling .030 and using a .040 you actually lost ground.
Put it together and forget the shims they will make things worse.

I'm hoping I'm OK with the .010 difference...

I'm doing the math trust me!

I cut the head .030 = .030" LESS distance
I increased the head gasket from .020"ish to .040"ish = .020 MORE distance

.030 less distance from the cut and .020" more distance from the DIFFERENCE in head gasket thickness makes a total of .010" LESS DISTANCE. Not more.
My heads are .010" closer to the cam centerline than before.

I think you forgot to factor in the original .020"ish steel shim factory head gasket in your equation.... that was REPLACED by a .040" Felpro...

Ether way,your good to go without shims. BTW, why would you want to cut the heads .030 and then add .020 back with a thicker head gasket???

I wanted to run the FelPro composite gaskets and increase my compression as opposed to REDUCE the compression. I also didn't want to affect my intake mating, and I've done the .030" cut with Felpro gaskets many times before....

I coulda just cut the heads .020", but I would STILL be checking my lifter preload, the heads have been redone by others and I'm not sure I trust the work!

It's a 9:1 engine, I can't afford to drop compression!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY