Quote:

Quote:

my dakota is so long that I have a 2 piece shaft from the factory, and I HATE it! I think that's my weakest link right now and would love to toss in an aluminum shaft, but everyoen says no go

I don't really care if it ends up being made out of a solid steel rod! but everyone says it's too long and a 1 piece shaft cannot be made for it.

when I swapped in the 4.56s I noticed a driveshaft vibration now too...when the rear axle had 3.21s I would have had to drive 125mph to feel this vibration, but now the 4.56s and tire diameter change, my driveshaft speed is MUCH higher, and I can feel the vibration at 65mph.

what's the longest shaft anyone has ever used?

BTDT,
First trip to the track in my old LWB 85 D100 w/493 resulted in a tossed stock shaft.
Started calling around all the big name companies looking for a replacement. Once I told them it was for a LWB truck and it would be occasionally raced they said no deal
All sugested a 2pc or carbon.
I wanted a 1pc, name brand shop referred me to Dynatech in MI.
Called them up and they agreed to build me a MMC shaft that was 67.5" long w/1350 Ujoints. They warned me not to exceed the critical speed of 5900rpm(determined by the length), past that and I am on my own. Only ran 1/8th mile after that with that long shaft.
Switched to a SWB 87, had that shaft shortened to 49.5".
I have total confidence in my Dynatech MMC shaft.

MMC shaft? what is that?

I'd have to measure my length again, but I seem to remember it being just shy of 70", but that was a quick and dirty measurement.

that 5900 RPM limit, is that for the driveshaft, or your engine? what was the RPM limit for the drive shaft? at an RPM limit of 5900 on the shaft, my 4.56 gears and 29" tires, that puts me at about 110 MPH. I don't see myself ever going faster than that

**Photobucket sucks**