Quote:

my dakota is so long that I have a 2 piece shaft from the factory, and I HATE it! I think that's my weakest link right now and would love to toss in an aluminum shaft, but everyoen says no go

I don't really care if it ends up being made out of a solid steel rod! but everyone says it's too long and a 1 piece shaft cannot be made for it.

when I swapped in the 4.56s I noticed a driveshaft vibration now too...when the rear axle had 3.21s I would have had to drive 125mph to feel this vibration, but now the 4.56s and tire diameter change, my driveshaft speed is MUCH higher, and I can feel the vibration at 65mph.

what's the longest shaft anyone has ever used?

BTDT,
First trip to the track in my old LWB 85 D100 w/493 resulted in a tossed stock shaft.
Started calling around all the big name companies looking for a replacement. Once I told them it was for a LWB truck and it would be occasionally raced they said no deal
All sugested a 2pc or carbon.
I wanted a 1pc, name brand shop referred me to Dynatech in MI.
Called them up and they agreed to build me a MMC shaft that was 67.5" long w/1350 Ujoints. They warned me not to exceed the critical speed of 5900rpm(determined by the length), past that and I am on my own. Only ran 1/8th mile after that with that long shaft.
Switched to a SWB 87, had that shaft shortened to 49.5".
I have total confidence in my Dynatech MMC shaft.