if your holley is duming so much gas that your eyes are watering at idle something is not set right. either your floats are too high, or your idle screws are wide open, or your throttle plates are open to far exposing the slots. something is amiss. if a carb is really tuned right for the application then it should idle fine and purr like a kitten and have good even power all the way through the rpm range. but tuning it in requires the use of custom air bleeds and correct factory settings.

ultimately first thing i would do is disconnect the throttle linkage. see if your idle changes. sometimes if you don't have the correct linkage the mopar throttle cable can pull the throttle open just enough to cause all kinds of issues.

also part of tuning is adjusting your distributor advance. what kind of cam are you running and what is your initial and final timing. on my 360 i had 17 degrees btdc at idle and 38 at 2500 RPM, also with the vacuum advance hooked up it would get up to 48 degrees total advance at cruise under low load conditions.

i don't want to stray off topic too much, but am trying to help you sort out your problem without spending a ton on efi that can cause more problems. also if your engine is modified you may have a hard time tuning a stock efi system to match it, just like your carb issue.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com