I need your help locating a valve spring retainer. This is for a 440 using stock valves(3/8 stems). I purchased a set of Elgin valve springs part#9907s. They have an outer dia of 1.504 and an inner dia of 1.090. This is a single spring with a dampner.
The problem is I cannot locate the correct Elgin retainer(ER3985) and I can't seem to find another brand that is a great fit. Comp has one that has a 1.4 O.D and a 1.060 I.D. I am just wooried this is going to "walk" around on the spring.
Do you folks have any suggestions ona retainer that will work or should I just abandon these springs and find something else?

HELP!!!!

UPDATE....
I spoke with Elgin Industries today and to me, their response was UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I explained that I had bought their valve springs, a spring that is listed in their catalog and is a current part, but was having a problem locating a retainer to fit it. The person there started out very helpful and provided me with the part#(see above). I asked if that part was available and if so from where. I was told that the retainer is NOT available and WILL NOT be available. Now this spring appears to be somewhat odd in its dimensions and I explained that I had tried to locate an alternate retainer but that because of the dimensions could not. They told me they were sorry but thats just the way it is. I asked if they could explain how they were selling a spring that works only with their retainer but they don't make the retainer? again they told me that was just the way it was and they suggested I find another spring and matching retainer because they could not help me.
Now, Elgin is a big company and has been around for a long time. How could they do business like this? This is just beyond my understanding. You can bet though, I will NEVER knowingly do business with them or with the distributor(on ebay)again. The distributor, will not allow me to return this springs and , they do have good feedback and are a "power seller".

I just do not know what to think or do about this.

Last edited by piratemike; 06/05/09 06:02 PM.